hip broken? real bad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justachick, Mar 11, 2012.

1. justachick

justachick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a young hen with a problem. My son brought her in as she was not walking properly. I though it was a broken toe so I splinted what I thought was the broken toe. I soon saw that all toes were involved so I made a boot and kept the splints on. Still no improvement. Took her outside as she is going downhill. wont walk. brought her back in and took everything off. I manipulated the hip joint and as I thought it isnt dislocated (altho no xray). Its possible the hip is broken. What then? She has been in my main bath for a week which I dont mind at all but is there a way to save her? I dont think she is in pain but I dont want her to suffer either.

Help? Anyone?
    justachick
    here is the link to view her in action.
    [youtube][/youtube]

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Hi,
    I am usually one to try fixing things myself , but I think this would be one for a professional.It does seem like the hip is broken...I hope you are able to bring her in....if not I would probably cull. Sorry for your hen!

3. justachick

Feb 5, 2009
    dont have the money to bring her in.
    Do you think looks like hip is broken?
    justachick

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Boy, I'm not sure...but whatever it is...it isn't good! How is she today?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Her foot looks dark in the video, I would take off the splint as it looks to be restricting blood flow and will weaken sensation and feeling in her leg. If it is a pelvic or leg injury it could heal on its own if she is still eating and drinking and not in oblivious pain. I would think if it was a pelvis break, her leg would be more floppy from higher up...I would restrict her movement and place her in a dog carrier etc...with close feed and water and soft bedding. Give her vitamin e gel caps in her mouth and dissolve some calcium in her water. See how she is in a week after treatment unless she declines. How is her weight? Any other symptoms? When did this start?

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That sounds like a great idea! I hope she sees this!

7. justachick

Feb 5, 2009
    sorry it took so long to get back to this. I didnt know what to do so I did take the splint off as her foot was purple. I took her outside a couple times to see if she would try to walk but she was actually walking on her elbow(if thats what its called). I ended up calling a friend to come and get her and a roo and letting them slaughter them both. I just had some pretty major surgery 5 weeks ago and cant really use my arms fully yet.
    And besides I couldnt have done her in anyway. Im not ashamed to admit I cried like a baby when they came and got her.
    Why is it always the nice new girls that this stuff happens to? Its never the 'ugly' brown ones with no butt feathers or the nasty roo or the oldest chicken in the pen!!![​IMG]
    I gotta stop naming these girls!!
    Thanks for trying to help and now I think Id go a bit longer and try a bit more as she was such a young hen and such a nice one too.
    I have no idea what Ill look like once my oldest girl (Beatrice) kicks it. She is like the little old grandma that just follows the kids around and you love her 'just cause'. I cant think about that now.
    Thanks again
    justachick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by