1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hip Hip Hooray !!! Broody hen accepts extra chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknfishn, Sep 17, 2010.

1. chicknfishn

chicknfishn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    [​IMG]

My broody hen hatched out 2 chicks a week ago. She is a good mom and seems to be doing everything right with them.

Yesterday I hatched out another 7 chicks and wondered if I could convince her to accept these chicks.

After researching here, I put them in a small box and took them out to her broody coop. She was intrigued by the noises coming from the box. I let one chick out and she didn't peck it. (I had previously tried to put chicks under 2 different hens in similar situations and it had not worked). I then put another 2 out and the same thing, she just clucked happily and showed everyone what to eat.

So now she is a very happy chicken momma with 9 little yellow fuzz balls under her. It is raining here now so I will wait a few days before I let them out in the yard together.

Yeah!!!

[​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you are blessed.

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great! For you AND the chicks,.. what kind of hen is she?
    PICS?

edited for silly spelling

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. chicknfishn

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    [​IMG]

She is a Light Sussex from Greenfire Farms. She is 2 plus years old.

She is set up in her own little coop with a see thru window overhead so that I can look down in and see how everything is going.

I am really glad that this worked. I brooded 3 batches of chicks in the shop this year and I and my DH really didn't want to do it again this year. The chick dust is absolutley unbelievable! [​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

The chick dust is absolutley unbelievable!

Not like fairy dust is it?!
    [​IMG]

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks! Have to remember that method.

7. chicknfishn

Mar 22, 2010
    SW Washington State
    I wish that it was fairy dust so that I could fly!![​IMG]

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is so much better to have the hen raise them, I don't think I will ever do it again with a brooder. I would not even worry about the rain, she will know when they need to be warmed up, her cluck will change, and they will all gather under her for a warm up, or she will move them inside.

My broody hen has hers all up on the roost, and sometimes, someone is still sneaking under her wing. So darn cute to watch.

Mrs.K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by