1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    This chick is several weeks old. It initially had knee issues, so I did the bandaid trick and all seemed well after a week or so. A week after that I noticed it had hip issues. Hmm. I have no idea what this is. When you manipulate the joint it doesn't seem to hurt the chick. It can walk and run, although it looks awkward. So far it is eating, drinking, pooping and keeping up with its buddies.
    What is wrong with it and can it be fixed?

It is the hip joint on the right side.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    First off, you have beautiful birds! Second, it might be a deformity that this chick had since birth, and as it grows, the deformity will become more prominant, like my chick, who was hatched this way. However, it wasnt nearly as bad when it first hatched.
    [​IMG]

Your chick can walk, mine can barely stand. Still, I refuse to put my little Walnut down, so if my chick can live like this, I'm sure yours can live a happy life, too! You may have to worry about the others pecking her, though, but if they grew up together and like each other, it wont be that bad.

One suggestion of something you can try: if you have vetrap, wrap it around her leg and hip, and then wrap it around the body, so her hip is held against her body but she can still walk. It could also be her joint popped out, but she might not walk on it at all if that was the case. Sorry I cant be of better help. Good luck!

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The vet wrap is a good idea. I'll try that tomorrow and see if it helps. So far this chick is fairly mobile. It just moves awkwardly and tires easily. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by