1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hip problems in Ducks? Too cooped up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RogerIsMyDuck, Mar 29, 2012.

1. RogerIsMyDuck

RogerIsMyDuck New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Hello,
    I'm a 16 year old 4-H member and a first time duck owner. My family recently got two white pekin , ( Roger and Daffy) and they are growing well and haing no problems, BUT we got two more maybe two weeks or so after Roger and Daffy, all four were in a small brooder created from a small livestock watering tub. We've now switched them over to a bigger brooder, but i'm wondering if the small quarters has caused some hip/leg problems. The two new ducklings can hardly walk, they look as if they are falling with every step. After closer inspection I found their hips seem to be sticking out, their legs seemed to be bowed in the compensate for the hips not really being under them. I doubt it's a genetic problem because it's happened to both of the smaller ducklings, and although we purchased all the ducks from the same store, only the smaller two are having the issue. Any ideas of what this is? or how it can be treated? I looked around on this site and saw a post similar to mine, they suggested maybe splayed legs?
    Thanks!
    RogerIsMyDuck

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

So, this is not good news about the new guys.

[​IMG]

Splayed legs generally occur with a slippery floor, and the legs are like they are doing splits, which sounds opposite of what you are seeing. Do you have a photo you could upload?

I hope we get some more input from someone with direct experience, but I will offer some ideas that will probably help a little, if only to give you a better idea about what is going on with the little ones.

Some swim time in a warm tub or large bucket. This will help you see how they are moving, it will take pressure off their legs, and help them strengthen their muscles. It will be fun for them, too.

By the way, if you are not doing so already, it's great to get all the ducklings in for a swim daily if possible.

Extra vitamins, and my gut feeling is thiamine and niacin might be particularly good for them.

What are they being fed?

Splints may be a possibility, but since I haven't seen exactly how they are standing or walking, I just don't know. But some people have used splints for leg problems and they can work, sometimes.

That's what I've got for ideas. Please write a little more about these guys, and how it's going.

3. RogerIsMyDuck

RogerIsMyDuck New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Alrighty! Thanks for your help, we've never let them swim before, I feel bad now for not realizing this, but I will certainly start! I'll update when I know more and with pictures.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With swimming, the water needs to be warm - at least 85 F, for little ones, and not much deeper than their legs are long (I am an over-cautious duck mom).

Someone needs to be with them the whole time, and at the first sign of any one of them getting tired (often only five or ten minutes, depending on age), everybody out and into a clean, warm, dry brooder. I toweled off any who did not immediately start to preen themselves dry.

And swim time is some of the most fun I have ever had with ducklings!!!!

5. RogerIsMyDuck

RogerIsMyDuck New Egg

Mar 29, 2012
    Oh my goodness... That was the cutest thing i've ever seen! Alright i'll try that tonight in the bathtube :) Mine are a bit bigger then those cuties though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by