Hiring a stud rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carress, Jul 19, 2011.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I thought I'd posted this before, but I can't find it, so..here goes.

I'd like to be able to hatch babies, but I really can't keep my roosters. So, I was thinking about renting or borrowing back some of my boys every so often to gt it on with the girls. Would this work? How would we go about doing it? Has anyone ever done this? How does it work?

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Why can't you keep your roosters? Get a sound proof cage [​IMG] I'm sure there is type of stud service thing with some really high end breeds, but for the most part people are throwing away roosters left and right and if you just want fertile eggs try craigslist and there will probably be someone offering a free roo, get it then let him do his thing, then you can be the person to offer the next free roo on craigslist

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I think quarantine would make hiring a rooster for stud a problem unless you were willing to risk your flock.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My neighbor has a rooster and we are planning on breeding my frizzle with her boy and keeping the chicks. My hubby will not let me keep a rooster whatsoever. We bought our chicks from the same place and we take care of them the same way, so I'm not worried about illness. Their flock is just across the street from us. I'm not quite sure how it will work, but we will find a way.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have done this but it is a big risk if you want to chance on it.

Quarantine for a month or two is better away from your flock. Then add a sacrificial bird to "test" him for any diseases. If nothing shows up within a week or a month if desired, then the roo can be intergrated with the flock.

6. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    It's definitely a sound thing- if I could convince them to hush, I could keep them, but...alas, they don't listen.
    I'm really not worried about disease- anything my roosters can catch at their future home around the block, they could catch here.

so... I've seen the roos humping the hens, but it's really violent and only lasts maybe 30 seconds. Also, the hens they're humping aren't yet laying- maybe they're confused.

Would a rooster just walking into my chicken yard really be nervy enough to get it on immediately, or would he need time to romance the girls before he gets some?
    I'd love to be able to pick a boy up in the later morning and return him in the evening...

workable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by