Hiring outside help for around the house?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, I just put an ad up to find someone to help out around the house after I go back to work (actually, I'll admit, I'm going to have them here once or twice beforehand, so that I'm not too stressed when I meet them and "test drive" them). Anyone have any advice on what to ask the "applicants"? For basic household chores (dusting, mopping, sweeping, etc) what would you expect to pay per hour? Anything I should know? They'll be here only while I'm here (I wouldn't trust anyone any other way), but I'd like to know what to expect or look out for or anything similar.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get references.

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Are they bonded? Have a BBB rating? Get references and CALL them. Don't know what's customary in your area, you might call several agency/services to see what they normally charge. Ask your friends/neighbors, etc who they know/recommend. Word of mouth is definitely the most powerful tool, so be nosy! Good luck and enjoy the help.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My guy was highly recommended to me by someone that has used him for years to clean her house and both of her businesses. I invited him over to the house to meet him and get a feeling for him. He is fabulous and I trust him to have a key. He comes every other week and charges me $65 a visit. For that price he does normal cleaning and then deep cleans half the house each visit. That way the entire house is deep cleaned once a month. He is my most favorite person EVER! It is so nice to come in to a clean house. [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Get a background check on whoever you use.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Criminal Record? LOL

7. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely check references and trust your gut. I've had the same housecleaner for 3 years now. I called several references beforehand and liked her from the start. I have not had any issues so far.

As far as what to pay depends on where you live. Check around with friends, look at the classified ads to see what others expect to pay or want to be paid. Craigslist might help too. Good luck!

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a gal who comes in every other week. I know her from work, and have known her for 8 years. Nothing better than a personal recommendation from people who have known the applicant for a loooong time.

I have cut back on many many expenses to try and catch up on credit cards this year, but the one thing I didnt cut back on was my housekeeper. Its the only indulgence I kept. With 3 dogs and me tracking in from the barn and chicken coops, and my lack of time and energy by the time the day is done, its really wonderful to get that one day to come home to a perfect house. She sweeps, mops my tile floors, does all my laundry, cleans every dish in the house, plays with the puppies (they love her!), and does various different things each week, such as cleaning my bamboo blinds that I have throughout the houe (with chicks in the house, you know how the dust goes). Sometimes I dont even see her. I have a key for her hidden outside, and she is done before I get home from work. I pay her $60 per visit, and she's worth every penny.

Oh, she did get a little raise this year. She also gets 2 dozen Fresh Free Range Brown And Blue Eggs each time she comes.

I would miss her terribly if she couldnt come anymore. But the bottom line is, personal recommendations are definitely the best.

9. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    like others said, check references. if they're part of an organization aske for proof of liability insurance and workers comp. if private, check with your homeowners insurance provider for your liability coverage. you don't need someone falling on your property and sueing you.

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Hiring someone to clean my house is just something for me that I would never ever consider doing. I've done both the full time mom and the stay at home mom thing. Even when working I wouldn't have considered it. I'm at home now and I have a couple of friends that are as well and they have housekeepers. I don't know. I sure don't enjoy cleaning and it's a never ending cycle and I do get tired of it. But I would never pay someone else outside my home to come do it. To each his own I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by