1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hisss It Must Be Breeding Season

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Oregon Blues, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I can tell that breeding season has either started or will be starting soon.

My big blue gander hissed at me today when I went in to feed and water. I asked him what he thought he was doing and he looked embarrassed. Can't fight those hormones, though. He's thinking about nesting. 20 degrees, snow coming out of the sky sideways and all.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] I guess when the hormones kick in it doesn't matter what kind of weather is going on.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I miss that threatening hissing sound from my gander. [​IMG] And death threating look and bites I'd get if I'd walk into their pen to fill up their feeder whenever the female was nesting... Ahh memories! :eek:)

4. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    my Grey smooth breasted sebbie gander i caught doing his business on my other white smooth breasted sebbie that was suppose to be a gander does that mean my white sebbie is a female or do the males do that as a Dominic thing? he is also doing a lot of hissing at me to he also charges me when i pick his girl up so i put my one arm out and walk at him and say that i am boss and he backs off[​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] your joking right?

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    No. [​IMG]
    Am I weird?? LOL [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not at all, not for BYC anyway, I would miss my gander so much if he wasn't here, even though he bites ,hisses and charges at us during breeding season... Well maybe we are weird... [​IMG]

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Ah yes!

Miss Lydia - where would we be without the hiss of the male????

Gordon - my gay male gander hisses at me constantly - I have noticed that despite the freezing weather conditions outside my ganders are getting amorous - so are my young muscovy boys and girls - i took some pics. today - will get them posted very soon!

Luckily my other half has not yet started to hiss at me.... it is not that warm yet! He is in his growling stage.... - pre - hissing!

Suzie

p.s. I'm developing a headache just in case he starts hissing..........!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by