histoplasmosis and cleaning your coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Causin Chaos, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Causin Chaos

Causin Chaos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    I was wondering how you deal with this? I read that dogs can get this too. Im concerned I live in arkansas and my 21 year old son just tested positive for this. Hes still at home plus we have a dog and they share the same area outside. Im wondering what I should do to take precautions about this.

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I think it is pretty common, many people in the Ohio Valley have lung findings of histo on their X-rays, without really being sick. I hope your son is doing well by the way.

Aside from filtering with a respirator I do not know if anything else you can do. Anyone else?

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

So common in that area, I just don't worry about it.
    I was in OK for 11 years and plan to move back to Stillwater area. As a physician, sa a lot of lung scarring, not many people sick with it.
    Hope you're son gets well real soon!

4. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    Quote:It can be caused by chicken poop .As it dries it forms a dust (not feather dander) so the best way to clean out the coop is to make the litter damp so the dust can not fly up and be breathed into the lungs.A mask is a good idea also. I dampen my litter and use a hoe to scoop it out and into wheelburrow.You don't have to waterlog it ,just enough so the dust from the poop doesn't fly about.
    Karen
    P.S. Hope your son feels better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by