1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Histoplasmosis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Feb 11, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I hope this section will do. I have questions. How common is this disease? And I read that there can be no symptoms, so how does someone know if they have it? And is it real easy to get? I just got into a discussion with someone saying that I could get it. What do most people do to prevent it? Is it in all chicken coops? Poop? Any one who has comments is welcome to comment here. Thanks.

2. Yes, you can get Histoplasmosis from your chickens. It is a documented transmission.

Fortunately it can be treated easily and prevented easily.

When you clean your coop wear a mask. This disease is caused by a fungus. Chickens do not necessarily transmit it directly to you. They just create the environment for the fungus to grow.

You can buy Oxine and use a atomizer to put in your coop or barn.
    It does not hurt the flock when you do this.

I clean the barn every few months. I use feed bags under the roosts the birds use. I put down fresh shavings and straw and rake out ALL of the old debris and take it away from the barn.

I then use a horse stall disinfection agent on the end of the water hose and work the floor and places the birds poop.

I put the feed and water away until I am done. Really the birds like the cleanliness and reward me with a whole Lotta eggs for about a week.

3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    not just chickens, you can get it from mice, rats, cats, many other animals..

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Does Oxine kill it?

What type of horse stall disinfectant do you use?

And how would a person even know if they had it?

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Is that why they say pregnant women shouldnt clean litter boxes?

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yes, never got me out of it DH bought me a industial face mask [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Do a search as there is a huge thread on this.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    really Ok then

9. Quote:Oxine is a wonderful product, but expensive.

I use "stall Safe". It is made by absorbine and when you buy the first package it comes with a nozzle for the end of your hose. Then you can buy the concentrate sepeately after this. The initial purchase is somewhat expensive because of the nozzle and container to mix the concentrate.

The active ingredient is "Octy Decyl Dimethyl Ammonium Chloride"

Oxine is "Stabilized Chlorine Dioxide" and you can get atomizers (foggers) for it.

10. mamabird

mamabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    App. Mtn's
    Tiki244 - pregnant women have to be aware of toxoplasmosis from the litter boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by