Historical Chicken Wormer

Rldad1

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
North Alabama
During the great depression, my wife's grand parents ran a fruit and poultry farm. While looking through her grandmother's recipe box we came across this recipe for chicken wormer: 1 pound Blue Vitriol. 1 gallon water, 2 TBS of mixture to gal of H2O, give for one day - once every 30 days.
I had to look up Blue Vitriol and found out it is Copper Sulfate. Thought some of you old timers might get a kick out of this. It probably works.

Well I'm not even close to being an old timer but I'll share two other natural dewormer recipes with you. Raw pumpkin seeds are an excellent dewormer. What makes the pumpkin seed dewormer even better is that it doesn't kill the worms it just paralyzes them. That means the dead worms don't release toxins because there not dead.
The second dewormer is walnut water. Its harder to make and it does kill the worms but it's easier to give to an animal. You need to soak fresh walnuts in water. If the walnuts have turned brown it will not work. Take the walnuts out of the water when the turn completely brown. I have only used this dewormer once but it seemed to work when I put some in my chickens water.
I’m sorry but pumpkin seeds do not deworm chickens... that is a myth that has been debunked.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/the-truth-about-chickens-pumpkin-seeds/

Well I'm not even close to being an old timer but I'll share two other natural dewormer recipes with you. Raw pumpkin seeds are an excellent dewormer. What makes the pumpkin seed dewormer even better is that it doesn't kill the worms it just paralyzes them. That means the dead worms don't release toxins because there not dead.
The second dewormer is walnut water. Its harder to make and it does kill the worms but it's easier to give to an animal. You need to soak fresh walnuts in water. If the walnuts have turned brown it will not work. Take the walnuts out of the water when the turn completely brown. I have only used this dewormer once but it seemed to work when I put some in my chickens water.

Back
Top Bottom