Historical event at the United Nations Holocaust Memorial Tommorrow

KristyHall

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
North Alabama
Some of my dearest friends are in New York city right now.

Tomorrow is the United Nations Holocaust Memorial Service. This is the first year they are allowing the Romani People to speak. Nearly 80 percent of the Romani people in parts of Europe were wiped out by Nazi Germany, yet they still face persecution, violence, and outrageous laws in Europe.

They are often ignored and not even mentioned when it comes to the Holocaust memorials. This needs to end now. We must recognize The suffering and stigma these people face.

They are banned from education, jobs, housing and basic health care, then demonized when they turn to stealing, traveling, and squatting to survive. The United Nations has refused to recognize their suffering and even the freer countries like Canada and the US have laws in place to make it hard for them to seek asylum from the horrible human right crimes perpetrated against them.

I wish I was there with them to witness this historical event.

Quite so.

40% of concentration camp victims were, I believe, not Jews. That proportion was made up of homosexuals, Gypsies, political prisoners and those labelled as mentally ill. It's time that those victims also were recognised as well as the Jewish majority.

They are home, and have lots of great stories. Things went off without a hitch. I am so happy for them. I wish I was there. History was made, and the world is a little bit better and brighter as another group of human beings is slowly gaining the vital human rights we all deserve.

Back
Top Bottom