Hit Roo with Car Door.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Appytaz, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Just a cute story to waste some time [​IMG]

My Ricky Roo has the new habit of waiting for my truck to pull in at night after work. He usually greets me near my door and follows me to the house to get his scratch. This is a trick he has taught all of the chickens. It is actually like of funny. I feel like the Pied Piper with my tail of 4 chickens and 8 2 month olds following me to the house. Well, I was running about 15 mins late yesterday and I had the "nerve" to stop at the mailbox first [​IMG] I saw Ricky taking a few steps down the driveway and then stopped to see if I was coming yet, and then take a few more steps. (our driveway is about a block long back from the road) When I got up to the house, I was sitting in the car getting my stuff together, well when I opened the door - I heard a "thump" and an angry Bawk! [​IMG] He was not a happy Roo! He was so close to the door - I whacked him when I opened it.

Another funny thing they do - I have 1 hen and the 8 chicks that are now roosting in the front tree. If I am really late and they are already in bed - Ricky will call them when I get home and it looks like it is "Raining Chickens" They are all jumping out of the tree one at a time. Ricky is a silkie and he nest on the front porch so he is sure not to miss me coming home!

Well, just wanted to share how silly they can be [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I can see him knocked flat on his dignified little roo back. Cute!

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    That is lovely, what a welcome home...lol.

Its funny hwen they get into these scrapes like your Roo, I bet he wondered where that door came from... lol

Thank you for telling the tale, lightens the day.

Jena.

4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I love being followed by my posse of chickens. It's the best. I wish they greeted me at the car door, though. What a great story, thanks!

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

hee hee hee

I'll bet he was thinking "Well I NEVER!" [​IMG]

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I can understand totally! When I get home it looks like a flood of chickens and ducks and Nugget and Tux are leading the charge.

7. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Aren't you worried about predators though?

8. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    Aren't you worried about predators though?

We live in a very unique situation. We have 2 acres that are surrounded by small subdivisions on 3 sides and a lake on the 4th side. (knock on wood) We have never seen a loose dog in the area. We totally do not fit in with the surrounding neighborhoods :) Here we are with our horse, donkey, chickens, and they next door neighbor built a $400,000 house. He HATES us "Rednecks". When people ask where we live it takes them getting there to believe we really have a small farm on the lake. The property was grandfathered in when it went from county to city. That is why we can keep our critters. As for hawks, we have lots of trees and scrubs and if the rooster sees ANYTHING in the sky he lets out the call! Poor fella, I think he may be learning the difference between a sea gull and a hawk. Even the hawks are very few and far between. In the last 1 1/2 yrs we have not lost anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by