Hit the jack pot - need roof ideas!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by that_crazy_lady, Dec 7, 2009.

1. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I just got the ok to use our old 18' above ground pool fram! my mom thought she wanted a pool and got one 4-5 years ago, it hardly got used, and the lining just gave out.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

so now I have to figgur out the best way to roof it?
    I was thinking like a tent top. put a 5x5 post in the middle, 2x4 suports from there down to the 2x4 along the outside of the pool fram/body.
    should I cover that with a heavy tarp or sheet meatle? I thought if I did the sheets I could place some green house sheet on it too for more natural lighting.

any better ideas or thought?
    rain, wind, and snow are big factors.

it's around 4' tall. I'll cut doors, and add pens as needed. I don't know how soon I can get this done. right now I only have 9 birds, but I will have a laying/broodie flock of 8-10, 8 Delawares, 15 Sebrights, and a few OEGBs. my 9 have an 8x8 with run for the winter at least.

me -> [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If you want it to last, it needs to be metal or plywood.
    Unless youre a good carpenter, doing a round, peaked, "tent" type roof is going to be a challenge with all the angles

3. magentamomma

magentamomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    Fayetteville
    we use sheet metal and slant it and added gutters. that way we catch the rainwater in a barrel, and use it for their drinking water. ......just an idea.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

JUST WONDERING .....if one of the old BIG fibreglas TV satellite dishes would make a good roof for you. Too Small?

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Why not cut it in half and turn it into a hoop coop like they do with trampoline frames? We made a HUGE hoop coop from a very large pool frame but the frame was very heavy steel tubing. You cut it in half and stand up half on one end and half on the other end and connect them with fencing poles. a few bolts, some wire, and some siding and your all set. [​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I would do an octagonal roof of 8 tapered sections. I would not take them to a point either. I would make the narrow ends around two ft wide so that you would have an octagonal opening in center . At the center, I would have it10 ft tall. On top of that center opening I would frame upwards say another foot. Then I would put an octagonal cap over that and put hardware cloth mesh all around that to make a ventilation point for all heat and fumes to escape the coop, but it would be predator-proof with the mesh. Then use the 8" overhang of roof all around with more mesh to create a continuous soffit vent around the whole perimeter. Now the coop can breathe even if all windows and pop doors are closed. Vital for chook health. Windows that can open and that have hardware cloth mesh screen should be added, I would say 4 of them. You can control ventilation and cross-breezes in warm weather that way. OSB roof decking, tar paper, and shingles will finish exterior. More of the mesh nailed to the insides of the vents to their frames. Now it can breathe year-round. You can stop maybe the north vent in cold weather. Have to make a people door and two pop doors with guillotine closer panels of OSB. People door will be a real shorty, unless you raise the structure first or build it on a slope and put people door on low side of slope. Best to raise structure because it will get really old in a real hurry stooping down to crawl in and out of that thing. Alternative is to cut 3 ft out of the wall and frame up a doorway conventional height and taper it into the cone-shaped roofline. Personally, I would rather raise the whole structure atop 4 courses of cinder blocks. Now you see it is not the gift you thought it was? Whew! [​IMG]

7. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
  8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Can you post a photo of the pool framing please? I can't picture in my mind what kind of framing you mean. Trying to figure load bearing...how much snow, ice and wind will you have at your place? What are your resources (money, scavanging, labor & skills).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing.. The thing is that the dish is 10' or close to. But if 10' round pen will work for them that would be the best roof.. (They will have to fill the holes in the middle where the "horn" and the mounting bracket was with some auto body filler like Bondo)...

Chris

10. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    StupidBird did you hear about all the people in Oklahoma with out poor for over a week do to ice? that was us.... [​IMG] the last two years was the only times that has ever happen though.
    this is pretty much what it looks like http://www.abovegroundswimmingpools...2_Inch_Round_Pool_with_Bonus_Buy_Package.html

I was thinking about something like a yurt, but I did not have a clue what it was called. I don't have a clue where I would get a big dish [​IMG], and I think that would be a little small.

here what happens with thing like this, I find out what I have on hand then I talk to my bothers, I tell them what I have and what I want. then we set down and figger what is going to take, what is the best way to go for every one. one of my brothers is a good carpenter, and my best friend is a blacksmith, so I'd trust what ever they come up with. I'd have to buy just about every thing else. a hoop coop would be much cheeper, but doing something like the yurt would give me a lot more space that I know I would use. plus I like to stand inside the coop.
    I'm looking at the pros & cons for now, I'm glad I'm not in a rush.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by