Hitting the ground...stupid! Any hope for us older people??? Depressed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by farrier!, Apr 1, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I hate being older and uncoordinated.. [​IMG]
    Yesterday I managed to trip an hit the ground. So......I could just feel my neck tensing up and everything starting to hurt. I know that after 4 years of taking care of my dying other then surgery for removing a huge tumor I am way out of shape but this is ridicules!
    Anyone else out there ever come back after getting so far out of shape? I want to be able to hike for at least a half hour, ride longer then 2 hours and loose another 55 pounds.
    Right now it feels like none of that is ever going to happen..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey I am younger and uncoordinated....

I have no problem tripping/falling going down the stairs....
    It's the talent I have when going up the stairs or even walking on a flat surface!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would love to beable to ride bike for 2 hours or hike for a 1/2 hour myself.....
    My first question though is where in the HECK do you find the TIME!!!!!

3. HiDelight

HiDelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    I understand

I am in transition with my eyes and have been trying to use bifocal ..OMG it is horrible when we were building the coop I kept stapling the wrong things (like almost my hands!) and falling over things that I swear were not there ..I was so sore the next day but not from lifting thing ..from all the tumbles I took!

I am so wanting to pull myself together this summer and do some serious hiking as well ... I used to be so fit!!!

yes we can get fit and be fantastic! it is just a matter of making it happen!

I refused to go into my senior years and not be as fit as I can be!

thanks for posting this honestly you gave me a little boost and validation this morning

come on ! lets just forget the age thing and get our bodies together

muscle tone and balance are the key to NOT getting injured as you age and we do have a choice!

(I just hope you are not something like 35 saying you are older [​IMG])

4. HiDelight

Mar 1, 2009
    PS I am a nurse and rec yoga to people...especially as they age ... to keep coordination avoid injury ... but I do not have the attention span for that kind of thing myself

come on lets buddy up here and do this and will kick some butts on the trails this summer ok?

no being depressed!

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

When my kids were a little younger I tried working out and eatting better.....
    I joined Weight Watchers and Ladies WorkOut Express.....
    I did it for 6 months....
    I honestly only lost about 6-8 pounds....BUT I WENT DOWN 4++ CLOTHING SIZES.....
    I had no more 'Grandma Rose bat wing arms' (ok that's just what we call it...)My stomach was flatter, and my legs weren't so jello-e!!!

I was NEVER able to get to my 'points for the day' though for Weight Watchers...I know that sounds bad, but everything I ate was always 0-1 points and I was never even able to get to 1/3 of my required points....It was more the working out that helped I believe....I ended up having to stop, because I couldn't afford the monthly fees anymore to go to the workout place...Then a few months later the place ended up closing... [​IMG]

I would love to get back into shape....I really am pretty active, not really lazy(other than being on this site!!!!) but the weight just doesnt' wanna come off, nor the muscles wanna be toned up!!!!

SUMMER WILL HOPEFULLY BE HERE IN THE NEXT 16 MONTHS....AND I WOULD LOVE TO BE IN SHAPE FOR WHEN SUMMER DOES EVENTUALLY SHOW IT'S FACE.....

6. HiDelight

Mar 1, 2009
    I want me some summer tooooooo!!!! so I think I will take a trip to Florida tonight [​IMG]

I am yearning to be in the garden and move my butt more it is hard to eat right and exercise when the weather is lousy

I just want to bake cookies sit on the sofa suck my thumb and twirl my hair!!! and that is just not enough exercise [​IMG]

ok work calls this has been a fun read this morning I think I need some scrambled eggs to start my April 1 on the right note [​IMG]

7. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    go to the pool and "run" in place for 5-6 min
    in water up to your neck extend arms and do trunk twists for 5-6 min
    lean on the pool side and do flutter kicks for another 3-4 min
    and oh-iforgot-swim a few laps.
    Do this two to three times a week for at least three weeks to build muscle tone BEFORE heading out on the road to start waking.

get a watch with a timer-
    1. every day for 5 days, set your count down timer, walk for 10min then walk back home. (no shortcuts--follow the same route back) [​IMG]
    2. skip two days
    3. walk 15 min every day for 5 days/ skip two days
    etc...

get the idea?
    slowly build up week by week until you get to 30 min out and 30 min back. don't care about the distance just get the time in.
    That's an hour a day for 5 days of walking--not a leasurely stroll--WALKING...like you have to catch a bus but it just got to the busstop.

8. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

I was out of shape during my second pregnancy. Then I nearly died towards the end of it from pre-eclampsia. I told my husband not to worry about me, and focus on the baby. If there was a choice to be made, save the baby. Spent 17 days in the hospital and actually got worse AFTER they did a c-section. Typically, a c-section will turn pre-eclampsia around, but in my case, I got worse. I was about ready to call in a lawyer to make out a will. Thankfully, things started to turn around and I eventually got better. They botched the c-section incision area pretty bad though, so about a year after our second DD was born, I had to have reconstructive surgery on my tummy. I opted to have a breast reduction done at the same time. -- I was still out of shape. At the beginning of 2008 I permanently changed my diet to a really healthy one and started drinking a ton more water. I started losing weight at that point. I didn't start getting into shape though until I started keeping chickens! I think people roll their eyes at me when I say that, but I am way more active now than I ever was before. Constantly building things, shoveling poop, lugging heavy waterers back and forth, carrying around 50lb feed bags... I've gone from a size 18w to a size 8 (possibly 6... based on how my pants are fitting today). That doesn't mean that when I take a tumble I still don't get hurt. But I actually think I recovered a lot better now that I am in better shape.

Have hope. I felt like you did for the longest time. When I hit High School I was in a size 12 and quickly got into a size 14. That is where I stayed until I got pregnant. You can get through it. Find your inspiration to be active. I also started looking at chores a different way. Chores ARE my exercise. Any chance to hop up and do a chore is A-OK with me! It helps keep me trim! I haven't been this fit since I was a young kid.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  9. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you all for the support and suggestions.

Hitting 50 and not being able to spend the time I want with my about to be 13 yr old daughter is the worse.

It is so sunny today. Most of me wants to rie but my knees dont! [​IMG]

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Just to bring all of your posts together,

I am older 55 soon to be 56, and I am having problems with arthritis in my neck and some other issues with muscles.

I need sunshine, I am sure I will feel 100% better in warmer weather,

I am booked to do Hydrotherapy next monday, so Iwill be doing exercise in water.

But YES!!!! I am so fed up with the simplest thing tipping me clean off my feet, I am fed up with dreadful pain for doing simple things that have always been routine and sometimes I feel like it is just age and it will never get better.

But I am not going give up fighting.

i think we are all suffereing from winter as well as winter blues, and it does sound like you have been under a lot of pressure , I am sure stress is the biggest problem which exacerbates and physical problems.

I am also sending a big thank you:thumbsup Farrier, itis always good to know you are not alone.lol.... I actually caught my arm on a chair on monday and ended up on the floor. I was just walking past. But because of the muscle pain it had twisted my arm awkward and I just lost balance completely.

maybe we should have a recover from winter and stress thread, I am not going to suggest a keep fit for older ones thread....lol.

You will get there and I really hope we all have a brilliant summer and feel fit and healthy.

Keep going and we will get there.

Jena.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by