Hitting wall when they fly down from roost

Newchickey

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
They have been in the coop and run for 5 weeks now, It is so cloudy today when I went out at 6am they were just beginning to get down from the roost, something I have been wanting to watch. I adjusted how they got up there by watching. I have two roost equal height, first is 12" from wall the other is 12" away from that one, they are about 40" high. So most did okay, flew right towards the door to the run, landed just before it and out the door. Two that didn't bother to come to the front roost crashes into the branch they use as a ramp to get up. (it's in front if the front roost and they tried to fly under the front roost and hit it. One of my Welsummers went from the front roost but grazed the front wall. And my little silkie was the last, and she struggled and struggled to make the leap, when she did she hit the wall above the door! Jumped up and ran outside. I feel mike it need to put a scrunchey in her top knot and get it out of her eyes! My coop is 8x8 I have seen higher roost in ones that size, what do I do?

I can’t help with the Silkie. They can’t fly so hopefully she will eventually learn to use the ramp. Or maybe you remove the ramp so she can’t get up there to start with? Or change to a wider ramp she can more easily walk down? I don’t do the walking toilet brushes so have no experience with chickens that can’t fly.

What you are describing doesn’t sound right. I don’t know how many chickens you have but that is a decent sized coop. Your height and distance from the wall sounds extremely reasonable. How much clear space is there for them to land? Are nests, feeders, or waterers in the way? Chickens are not the most graceful flyers but unless there is a lot of stuff in the way they should do better than that. Not much help I know.

I can’t help with the Silkie. They can’t fly so hopefully she will eventually learn to use the ramp. Or maybe you remove the ramp so she can’t get up there to start with? Or change to a wider ramp she can more easily walk down? I don’t do the walking toilet brushes so have no experience with chickens that can’t fly.

What you are describing doesn’t sound right. I don’t know how many chickens you have but that is a decent sized coop. Your height and distance from the wall sounds extremely reasonable. How much clear space is there for them to land? Are nests, feeders, or waterers in the way? Chickens are not the most graceful flyers but unless there is a lot of stuff in the way they should do better than that. Not much help I know.

Perhaps you can post a picture of the inside of your coop so we can see for ourselves the things you are describing and maybe better understand where the problem may be coming from and offer some input?

There is almost 5 feet out from the forward most roost. The run door is almost in the corner of the wall in front of the roost. The nest boxes are on the next wall by the door but are not in the way of getting to the door. Water, food, nothing is in the way

You reference "the branch they use as a ramp" - can you offer a little more detail as to the ramp - it's width, length, angle of incline, etc? When I hear ramp I don't envision anything that comes close to what I envision when I hear branch - branch brings to my mind something fairly unsuitable as a ramp, especially for a silkie

Perhaps you can post a picture of the inside of your coop so we can see for ourselves the things you are describing and maybe better understand where the problem may be coming from and offer some input?

My roost are branches and I have used and angled one as a ramp, most use it to go up to the roost, including the two silkies with no problem, I have never seen them get down until today.

Last edited:
Up is inherently easier/less scary than down for them. Going down their body weight is pushing them down the ramp and makes them feel less sure and steady and it is harder to balance their bodies, which may be why they opt for flying down vs. using the ramp. A wider, "easier" ramp would likely help your silkie

That's not really a 'ramp', it's just a lower branch/roost. Good for getting up, almost useless for getting down...especially for silkies that can't usually see very well.

Make a real ramp, flat board, at least 8" wide, with cleats every 4-6 inches, set at 30-35% off the floor.
The bottom of the ramp can stop about 12-16" off the floor, I put a concrete block under the ends of mine.

Back
Top Bottom