Hiya, from Middle Alberta

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by farmermaryann, Jan 24, 2014.

1. farmermaryann

farmermaryann New Egg

Jan 23, 2014
    Found this forum while searching why a few of my chickens seem to have wobbly heads this winter... will now start supplementing their feed with.... well something that will increase their vitamins I guess. I'm not into chemicals of any kind so alternatives, like garlic, and other herbs is where I will start. These girls are here to feed us and I am their caregiver, but I don't consider them pets, really, ('course I do have my favourites!!)

Maryann

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could post in "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread - in detail and see what others come up with. I'm not sure about "wobbly heads," Do they have other symptoms like twisted necks, or heads drooping between their feet, that would be wry neck..

It could be a neurological issue caused by a peck to the head but, if a few hens are doing it, I would suspect some form of disease.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Hello Maryann [​IMG] great to have ya here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sounds like you are getting the idea and you can also feed them rice [​IMG]

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

What kind of feed are they on now? Most chicken feeds supply a good balanced diet, although if supplemented heavily with other foodstuffs birds can get vitamin deficiencies and imbalances.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Wobbly heads and necks sound like wry neck. They need B vitamins, vitamin E and selenium. These 3 things will stop the wobbly heads.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. I agree with the above posters, your birds may be getting wry neck. Make sure that their feed isn't too old (old feed loses nutrients), and make sure that you are feeding the right feed (layer feed for layers, starter feed for chicks, not too much scratch grains/other treats). Some vitamins will probably help.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hens.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Maryann, welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by