Hiya from Montana!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vsmenagerie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Hi!! I found your site the other day and decided to register, since its full of great info [​IMG]

We have recently moved from ID to MT and plan on getting chickens! My husbands family used to raise meat birds when he was younger, so we are planning on some of those, but I am also wanting some for eggs. We live on a ranch and another family is going to go in on the chickens with us, so we can split costs, eggs, meat, ect.

I am super excited to get started! There is a really nice chicken coop here, with electricity, that I got mucked out last week. With a HUGE fenced in area for them to go outside in. Cant wait to get to know some of you!

Virginia

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] glad you joined!! [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

4. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Yay another Montanan ! Where avoids are you? I'm in butte! Sounds like you got the coop, now you need the chickens, one tip is to get birds that have been vaccinated ! I see craislist has some nice pullets some nice eggs and some nice chicks, but again best to get them vaccinated. Many are loosing there birds to disease. Im very lucky, my girls are in the best of health . Good to see you here, I can not wait to see how you come along and what you get !

5. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Proctor! I am hoping to make a chick order this coming week! Looking at buff orphingtons, araucanas, rhode island reds and maybe barred rocks? I dont really know yet! so many to pick from [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Quote:[​IMG] from wa state! Congarst on getting that coop cleaned out, Can be a big job!

7. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:It was! the last people to have used it left it messy. Im not sure Id have wanted chickens in it personally. There is a concrete floor, which I didnt know about when I first looked LOL I still want to scrub it a little more, maybe sanitize it somehow...took me a good 5 hours of steady work to get it cleaner!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Proctor! I am hoping to make a chick order this coming week! Looking at buff orphingtons, araucanas, rhode island reds and maybe barred rocks? I dont really know yet! so many to pick from [​IMG]

I have 2 buffs orp, and 3 asterlorps, we love our girls! We tamed them as chicks and they still think we are there mama's lol. We had a rode island red and he was soooo sweet I miss him but a rancher took him to be a roo on there place. I love my buffs and asterlorps I will post pics later on . We live in the city, I so envy you !

9. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Do you live on flathead shore? The erea you live in is amazing, and the cherries Oye yummy !

10. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:We are right across from Flathead! About 30 mins south of Kalispell. It is GORGEOUS here! Up the road from us is Lake Mary Ronan. There is a creek running through the property, so many trees. We have a small herd of deer that go by our house every night!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by