Hiya from SE Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by EeyoreD, Mar 26, 2012.

1. EeyoreD

EeyoreD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2012
    Attica, MI
    I'd planned on getting some poultry this year but I think I've been a bit taken by surprise by how early this stuff starts. I knew to plan to get my hives and bees and have dug in the garden but when I went to Tractor Supply and saw chicks for sale I never new poultry started this early too.

I really did plan on having the poultry started this year as well but I have a few issues/unanswered questions (though I've read up a lot):

1) TS states Rhode Island Reds as Good multi-purpose free range birds that winter well. But in my (admittedly novice - can we just assume that's the position I'm coming from from here on out?) research they seem to have rather large combs and seem to have traits more susceptible to cold. I was initially looking at Orpingtons for the small combs and dense bodies for good overwinter.

2) What I would really like to do (but have no idea if this is really even viable) is to have a little barracks for the chickens at night or for eggs but otherwise just let them run around my 7 acres (and my neighbors, I can't even see the people next to me). I realize there will potentially be some loss to depredation, but will the survivors eventually learn? Or do I really need to have an enclosed run rather than a coop I let them out of during the day and corral them in at night?

3) Related to 1, what are going to be my best breeds for this, assuming it's possible?

4) Somewhat related - I was also thinking of getting some Muscovy ducks for meat/yard cleanup. Do they and chickens get along? Does anyone know if you can even raise Muscovy for meat in Michigan? It seems they have some weird restrictions.

Thanks and be gentle, I'm kind of an idiot about these things.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I went with the Wyandottes, Australorp, Welsumer, Barred Rock and there are others that are good cold weather birds. :thumbsup

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome! [​IMG]

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. wildcat chix

wildcat chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Barbourville, Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    ...from a transplanted Michigander - last address was St. Clair Shores and East Pointe
    Where in SE Michigan are you?

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. Anish

Anish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    West Branch, Michigan
    Welcome!! [​IMG]
    I'm from NE Michigan.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Please stop by the Michigan thread and say Hi. There are many members here, and many breed and sell chicks. You may find something you like at Chickenstock, this year in June.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/233/michigan/37860#post_8672589

If you free-range your birds, you may expect predation up to 100% depending on your area. At the very least they need a secure night area that is completely predator-proof, or you may find that all your hard work - and your birds - will disappear overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by