1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hiya i have a cockeral hes 14 weeks old but i have no idea what breed he is can anybody help??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beryls-Gang, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Beryls-Gang

Beryls-Gang Out Of The Brooder

hi i have a mixed breed cockeral but for weeks ive been trying to find out what hes mixed with can anybody help? ive just been told he may be mixed with an old english game bird too
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Did you buy him or hatch him? Any idea what the parentage possibilities could be?

3. Beryls-Gang

hiya i bought him as a day old chick he was supposed to be a silkie lol just bought him of someone of a selling site who had just hatched loads of chicks no no idea who his parents could be x

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Well crud. That shot that idea. I'd say he's got some Wyandotte behind him going by the general body shape, comb, and leg color. Further than that its a total guessing game.

5. Beryls-Gang

yeah i thought he might have sum sort of bantam in him with his comb being walnuty :-/ just trying to figure out what i can actually say he is as im trying to sell him lol x

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Mixed breed

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    When I have barnyard mix cockerels to try to sell, I don't stress over what breed they may be. I give them a cute, trendy name and emphasize how pretty and gentle they are.

Then again, I wind up eating most of my cockerels.......so maybe my advice isn't worth much?

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say mix of a mix, but I think Wyandotte ancestry is not far off.

9. Beryls-Gang

i thought that too also been told he could be old english game bird too so must be mix of both x

10. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Not sure what you have, but if you're just going to sell him, that's probably not as important as his temperament - at least, if I was going to buy a cockerel and didn't plan to hatch any eggs, I'd care less about the breed and more about his personality. If you're really concerned with what the breed is, look at pictures of different breeds (I like to use Murray McMurray Hatchery's website) and try to find a similar-looking bird. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by