1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hiyas from Oregon!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ORChickFam, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    I'm chelle, mistress to the chaos [​IMG]that is my life. We're currently a family of 13 residing on the beautiful Oregon coast: 5 children, 1 childlike husband, 2 dogs, 2 rabbits and 2 cats. But in approximately 21 days and counting we'll double plus some when my very first order of chicks comes!

We've never had chickens, and to be perfectly honest they tend to scare me when close; but that won't stop me. The kids and husband have been wanting chickens for some time. For me I just detest the taste and how my baking turns out w/ store bought eggs, but after this past year of handing money over to someone else and waiting for deliveries; I gave in to their wishes and said "Let's do this".

Look forward to meeting and learning from everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. BrendaJ

BrendaJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Oregon
    Hello back to ya from another Oregon chicken owner. You will get over your fear - the little fuzz butts are way to cute & you watch them grow up. Fresh eggs are the BEST!!!! Post lots of pics & be sure to check out the learning center tabs above [​IMG]

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks did you order?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Chelle, nice to meet you. If you are getting very young chicks, they are just too adorable to be scary. By the time they grow up, you will be best buddies with them. Hope you will post photos, what breeds are you getting?

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Chelle

Glad you could the flock! Raising chicks is a fantastic experience, something I enjoy very much. Watching them grow and develop their own personalities is so rewarding and raising from chicks makes them extra friendly. Here is a nice section of the learning centre all about raising them, it has some great articles https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Wishing you the very best of luck, I'm sure you and all your family will love the experience.
    Enjoy BYC everyine here to help and very friendly :frow

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. You are headed for some wonderful fun and surprises. The baby chicks are so cute and lovable. And when grown, they continue to add enrichment to our lives, in the same way our our other pets do. Each will have their own personality. But EGGS are a great bonus.

Good luck with your new adventure.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Thank you everyone. I've been reading the site off and on for the past 2 years, but really have dived into it this month trying to absorb all the knowledge I can get. It really has calmed some of my nerves!

I got us...
    2 Red Star
    3 Rhode Island Reds (my 8 yo wanted these)
    5 Barred Rocks (for me!)
    a White Plymouth (to break up the colors)
    2 Welsummers
    3 New Hampshire Reds
    1 Buff Silkie Bantam (for our 6 yo & 3 yo)

One huge reason for getting chicks was the full hope that I will work through my squirms as they get older. I am determined!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You have some really nice breeds and hybrids. Red Stars (Red Sex Links) are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years, and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from those 2 girls. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by