Hmm failed chicken math 4 means 9...12....Is coop big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Toshi, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Well it started 6 months ago...We went to TSC seen the chicks i begged and got some. Only wanted 2 for my little roo i had gotten over the winter. Came home with 6 [​IMG] Don't you love chicken math [​IMG]

Anyways my flock grew i got rid of roos then got more. I have 10 right now.

My coop right now is 5X4 and the run is going to be 9X4, they are out mostly in the days, but i don't want to shove them in there if there is not enough room so is that a big enough coop? [​IMG]

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    The coop is probably ok as long as they have room to perch and room on the floor. Im not sure how cold it gets where you are but if gets cold you might want a bigger coop as they will spend more time in there during the winter. I would expand the size of the run if you can. I have 8 chickens and my run is larger than yours (4x16) and I wouldn't add more than 8 hens to my setup

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    We have 6 in a 4'x8' coop and the same size run and it is fine for the 6 in the coop but the run should be larger for us. We do free range them for a couple of hours when we are with them, so no problem so far.

You should have a run approx. 100sq. ft. and a coop about 30-40 sq. ft. Right now your coop is 20sq. ft. and the run will be 32 sq. ft. You may have issues with chickens pecking feathers and pulling out feathers in those tight quarters. At least try to make the run larger if you can.

4. monsterkx500

monsterkx500 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I have 10 in my 4 x 6 and 6 x 12 run so far they are doing good. they are now 14 weeks old. When Im home I leave the door open and let the run in the yard.

5. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    I think both the run and coop should be larger, priority on the run. If you haven't yet built it (as it sounds in your post), Make it at last 100 square feet... the more the merrier. And stop getting chickens until you get a bigger coop!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    They are going to be really cramped. 4 square feet per bird in coop and 10 square feet in the run. 10x4 for the coop and 10x10 for the run, especially if they can't free range. Good luck.

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:I agree, to small a coop, if there in there during deep winter your going to have problems and the run is major small. You need 3 times the size you have now. It's not penning them up ,it's giving them room to roam around in. I have 5 chickens in my coop, it's 5x6 and an out side egg box so no floor space was taken up and I still would never add one more chicken to it. My pen is 16x20 An we are adding more panels to expand. But... My chickens free range out side the pen at least 9 to 12 hours every day, weekends longer. the pen will be when kids go back to school so they can be out and safe while I work. Looking into how to cover the top this winter from snow!

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Quote:Way to small a coop for 10 especially since there not fully grown yet. Do you have cold winters? Here mine will be in a coop a lot during below zero weather, 10 fully grown chickens in a small coop will be cramped and may have issues later on.

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    way too small both coop and run. I have a 4x4 coop in one pen, so only 1 foot shorter than yours. There is no way I could fit 10 birds in there. It would be comfortable for 4-5 bantams. I use it for young chick growouts or broody mom and babies. It would be the perfect size for a trio of large fowl.

When I had 12 birds back in the day, I kept them in a 8x8 coop with a 16x24 pen. That was a great size. A 4x8 coop would work fine for 10 birds if it was for roosting only and they had lots of outside room. In your case, if you could do a 4x8 coop and an 8x16 pen, that would be workable, as a bare minimum. Bigger is always better.

10. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Ok, and yea it is already built there is a good amout of floor space and their perches are up off the ground as is the nest, they are only in it at night i free range them most of the day, they only stay in long enough to lay and then they are out. Then up before the sun sets.

So i will make the run bigger, for the winter i plan on putting a tarp over the top of it and to cover up some of the sides as well so they can use that as well so it will be somewhat inclosed. And i will look into addeing on to my coop which i should be able to do. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by