Hmm, H1N1 has hit our area

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I think it's H1N1, or whatever the "swine flu" is called. Anyways, we just found out today, since we don't get the paper (it's a weekly paper I think, lol). The one guy who works and "roadies" with the bf called to say that he couldn't drive today because his son has it... Apparantly, 55 kids from the highschool have it, which is pretty big, because our highschool is itty bitty. : /
    Now, I'll be honest, I really don't know a whole heck of a lot about it, I usually ignore these kind of things, like the SARS and all of that, because people almost always make a huge deal out of it when it's usually not even 10% as scary as everyone claims. So, anyways, anyone else in an area where this is/has hit?

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It's hit our area pretty hard. No one in my family has gotten it, but our friends had it, my DD's 3rd grade teacher had it, a kid in my youngest's preschool class had it, and 600 kids at the high school were out last week... It's probably just a matter of time [​IMG]

3. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    They are talking about shutting down some local high schools around here b/c of the amount of kids getting sick. I'm sure glad I homeschool mine. [​IMG] I'm not saying we won't get it, but I am going to try and keep it away from us as long as possible. I'm going to stock up on some tto this week and a few other necessities for cold/flu season.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I've had it, no biggy. I stayed in my room, kept hydrated, and after the fever went down and I coughed till I bled I finally let my doc prescribe some cough meds and steroids. Then again, I am prone to bronchitis in general.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yep, hit our high school. I told DS just to make sure he washes his hands often and doesn't share drinks with anyone. Or suck face with the GF!!!!

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Half our church had/has it .. nobody has been really sick .. kinda like Boyd ..

7. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    A 39yo man in my county had the flu for 10 days.. No underlying health conditions.. His family said he appeared to have "turned the corner" and seemed to be getting much better. In fact, he called a family member at 1pm one day to ask if they'd bring him some KFC later..

When they showed up at 4:30pm, he was DEAD.

I just read in another thread -- and now elsewhere -- that a common theme to H1N1 is an apparent recovery followed by a swift and severe downturn..

So, yeah...maybe it's BS, maybe it isn't, but I plan on getting the H1N1 shot if it's made available to me.

I'm also taking about 5,000iu of vitamin D3 every day.. D3 isn't really even a vitamin -- it's a prehormone, and an extremely potent anti-inflammatory. It has the ability to regulate TH1 immune responses to keep them from overreacting and killing you. From what I can understand, H1N1 is prone to cause a "cytokine storm" in the lungs, during which the TH1 immune system attacks the infection in the lungs to the point that it basically swells them shut and fills them with fluid in a matter of...well, no time. My money says D3 can help prevent that, and if you're deficient -- AS MOST PEOPLE ARE THESE DAYS -- you might be in trouble.

Still getting the vaccine, though.

If you're interested in knowing your D3 status, ask your famly doc to run a 25-hydroxyvitamin-D3 test... Personally, I'd look for 50+ng/ml..

Do not get a 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin-D, as that one doesn't tell you anything of value.

Just sayin'.

8. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    It hit the schools here pretty hard (Salt Lake City). The high school cancelled last week's football game because so many players were sick. My 16 yo DS came home Monday saying he felt so bad he wanted to die [​IMG] It came on fast-he was fine when he left for school in the morning. He has asthma so we hit the doctors office that afternoon and he prescribed tamiflu. DS said this morning that the horrible stomachache is gone [​IMG] but even though the headache and sore throat are still there he feels SOOO much better -no more achiness (*knock on wood*). I suppose next week the rest of the family will have it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by