Hmm...how should I go about this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Mar 14, 2011.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    So this is kind of a complicated situation. I'm adding chicks this spring sometime in May, but form three different sources (3 LF are coming from hatcheries, 1 silkie is coming from a breeder, and I'm hatching 12 bantam cochin eggs). I'm trying to time everything so that everyone gets along. At the hatchery chicks hatch out on Tuesday and are taken home Wed.

Should I schedule to have the bantams hatch first, get the silkie chick (but considering hatching those too if I can get some at he Oregon Swap), and then pick up the hatchery chicks a couple days later? How should I schedule everything?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If they are within a couple of days they will get along fine. I just added week old Serama chicks to some week old chicks I hatched and there is no problem except the other chicks are bigger.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Aside from just typing Russian with my fingers on the wrong keys.... . oh, okay, your question.

I would try to time it so the bantam chicks were a few days older than the rest of the chicks, simply because they are so much smaller. Smaller chicks get bowled over in the brooder when larger ones suddenly decide to run from THIS end to THAT end and the smaller chicks are in the way. Let the bantam chicks get their land legs under them for a couple days, first, if possible.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. I'll have the eggs hatch a couple days before and pick the hatchery chicks up the Wednesday after.

Thanks!

Now to find some silkie hatching eggs...

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    The way I have it, 2 EEs will be the first to go out. Then I have severalbanties growing up with full sizers to get introduced next. Always have at least 2 to put into the flock together. Then at least they will have a buddy. That's my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by