Hmm possibly a horse? How much are they about a month?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bobwhitelover, Aug 14, 2011.

1. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    So i am now a horse FREAK! I just participated in my first horse show on a friend of mines horse charlie! Now i am looking into getting a horse myself. I want a 5-10yr old horse that is broke. How much is it about a month to keep a horse? I have a stable that has boarding for $100 plus i could probably work to get a discount. My question is how much is it about a month for keeping a horse other then the boarding? Also what breed is a first time owner breed? I like paints, Arabian, Thourebred, and quarter horse. Thanks for replys! [​IMG]

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    About 5-6 grand a year. May i suggest lessons and rentials?

3. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    The $100 per month is probably self care...if that is the case you will still need to buy feed & hay, wormers, farrier every 6-8 weeks & shots (if you are lucky & have no other medical bills for the horse). Prices for everything can vary depending on where you are from.

Breed of horse - There are good horses & poorly trained horses in every breed. I personally prefer Arabs for their intelligence, stamina & beauty....if you ask my husband he would probably go with the thoroughbreds and my first trainer I had was 100% for a quarter horse (she almost had a fit when I went out & bought an Arab while she was on vacation, lol). I would suggest learning as much as possible about each breed & what they are best suited for to be able to make the best decision.

I would personally reccomend getting some lessons first, maybe volunteering to work at a stable in exchange for lessons. You should do this for a little while first before jumping into horse ownership. A good lesson barn/mentor will be able to help you determine when you are ready for horse ownership & will also be able to help you find a first horse.

4. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Quote:Thanks for the reply! It is in fact $100 a month with feed and hay included!!!!! How much is the wormer? I think the owner of the stable trimms hooves herself so she would do it for free. We are from wi.
    The owner of charlie is my friends mom so i can ride him whenever i want. Should i do this for a while and when i get good enough buy a horse? I am a natural people say because it was like my 9th time on a horse when i went to the show and i placed in everything beating people who have had training for yrs!

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Why don't you just ride Charlie for a while and sloooooooow down.

A place that boards for a hundred dollars a month can't be real good.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:x2

I would be leary of fencing, there probably is no arena--indoor or outdoor--or anywhere else to ride.

Even if you've done well the few times you've been on a horse, there is A LOT more to horse ownership than "get on and pull to stop, kick to go." Take lessons, enjoy riding a horse that ISN'T yours for awhile. I would suggest lessons for at least another year and possibly leasing a horse before you take the plunge of ownership.

No one ever told me I was a natural on horseback, but I got to be a very good rider through years of experience which is more important in the long run than any natural talent. My daughter has been riding since she was 2 years old, but didn't ride on her own in a show until she was 5. This year at 6 she did her first distance competitive trail ride.

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Feed
    Hay - $1 - $10+ dollars per day; $30 - 300 per month
    Grain/Concentrates - $1 - $5 per day on average; $30 - $150 per month
    Supplements - $?? with a show horse this can easily run into the hundreds per month. It can also be much less. It will depend highly on the horse and the environment.

Health / Medical Care
    Farrier - $20 - $120+ every 4-8 weeks; $10 - $120+ per month
    Vaccinations - $24 - $100+ per year. Depends on the vaccinations needed, state and facility rules, etc.
    Worming - $2 - $15 per month on average. Including FECs.
    Emergency Fund - $20 per month minimum. One colic bill can put you in a cardboard box under the local bridge and your horse in a shallow grave.
    Medical Kit - $10 per month; but a much bigger investment up front.

Tack & Equipment
    If you're showing? Easily $50 - $??? per month. You need show clothes, practice saddles, saddle pads, show saddles, show pads, practice bridles, show bridles, show halters, practice halters, crop, carrot stick, lunge whip (optional), lunge line, cinches, girths, bits, etc. Depending on the nature of the showing you may need boots, wraps, breast plates, second cinches, etc. You will also need show clothes which can get mighty pricey in and of themselves.

Care & Keeping
    Bedding - $10 - $200 per month; depends on what you have available locally.
    Buckets - $10 - $50 upfront investment, periodic replacement necessary
    Grooming Kit - $10 per month; much larger up front expense
    Mental Stimulation -- $?? per month; if you board and show there's a good chance your horse will end up stalled for a fair part of his time. You will want to invest to keep him busy.

And the costs only go up from there. This is assuming your horse is always healthy. A lame or repeatedly ill horse can bankrupt you if you let it. And you never know when any given horse will come up lame or ill. Just because you buy one that has never been doesn't mean a thing. You also have trailer and truck up keep, trailer plate registrations, show fees, camping fees for staying at shows, etc.

I would strongly encourage you to seek out a few horse-specific message boards (PM if you'd like and I'll give you a link to a knowledgeable one) and take some lessons on a good lesson horse to start. Not only are there the financial aspects, you also have the safety and emotional aspects. It is very much in your best interest to get started on a trustworthy horse who is not a huge investment. You can be a natural, that's great, there's lots of naturals out there. Even they should proceed wisely. [​IMG]

And before you say "well feed is included in my boarding" or "my barn owner trims so I won't need a farrier", just know that that is no guarantee for you. Not all people who trim -- even "professional" farriers know what they are doing. You cannot depend on free trims from your barn owner to keep you and your horse going. If he/she does a good job, great but you need to assume you will be paying for trims because the second it goes bad you need to be able to afford to get out there and hire someone else. No hoof nor horse. I cannot stress that enough. If the trim is not right you will cripple your horse and bankrupt yourself. It is only a matter of time. And if you don't know how to tell if it's a good trim or not you're not ready to own a horse. Period. The same pretty much goes for the feed, a certain amount of feed is included in a boarding contract. If your horse needs more to keep weight it will fall on you to pay for it. If your boarding goes bad and you have to move, you may end up paying for all feed yourself. You need to plan on being able to afford it all from the start. It's not fair to the horse otherwise.

As for breed, you'll get to that in time, take some lessons and learn, learn, learn first.

8. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    I would be leery of a place that only charges $100 per month as well. This is why.......We pay $25 per horse for a trim, a 50 pound bag of Purina Strategy cost about $15 per bag around here (depending on the horse you can go through 1 bag or more per week) plus hay at $4 per bale - so if you figure 2 laps of hay twice per day then you are looking at 3 bales of hay per week. So if you do the math - $60 per month for decent grain & $48 per month for decent hay & $25 for a trim then you are already at $133 per month just to feed the horse. Also add in your wormer every other month at $8-15 per wormer (depending on what rotation you are on plus generic vs. brand name) Some horses can go without that much or any grain, but you will definitely still have the cost of hay, wormer & trims. If you decide on a thoroughbred then you will most likely feed this much grain if not more. Also, some horses will need shoes - we have 5 Arabs & 1 quarter horse right now & we are lucky enough not to need shoes on any of them. The only time I used shoes was when I was showing Jasmine & at that time it was $55 for front shoes - I do not know what the going rate for this is now. You will also learn that while anyone can trim a horse - there are few & far between that can do it well - and like they say, no hoof no horse!

I think your best bet for now is to be patient & if you have the opportunity to ride Charlie whenever you want, then go for it. Do as much as you can with Charlie - groom him, take him for walks, ask if you can be there when the vet comes out for shots or when the farrier comes out & ask questions. Having something like Charlie is a perfect opportunity for you to learn as much as possible so that in 6 months, a year or whenever you will have the best experience that can with your new horse.

9. babyblue2

babyblue2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Its completely dependent on the area you live. The rainfall and growing conditions for the past several years. And the human population density and cost of living.

We spend on average 100 a month. We keep the horse at home, I do all the work myself, I have no help. I have fairly considerable ridding, working and ownership experience with horses. Yet when we move next month I am going to start boarding at 300 a month again. Why? Because it is just too darn hard for me to take care of a horse and my two babies. Ive done it for years out of finiancial nessisity but the move to a lower cost of living area and a higher paying job for my spouse I am just not doing it anymore.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by