Hmm.. True Exchequer Leghorn or No? (1 day old chick) cuteness alert :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WilloughbyStead, Jan 7, 2017.

1. WilloughbyStead

WilloughbyStead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    Last month I adopted Miss Khloe Klucdashian the Exchequer Leghorn. (I promise I'll take a good picture of her and post it tomorrow) .... She was sold to me as being a little more than 6-7 months old and laying. This turned out to be true, during quarantine she laid 2 eggs. I never got around to inquiring about whether she was exposed to any roos when I bought her but I wondered if I would be lucky enough to get a few pure bred out of her before introducing her to the rest of the flock.

So, I decided to incubate her initial eggs just to see what would happen. 1 didn't make it to pip. This one hatched..

In these pictures baby is 24 hours old.

What do you make of the feathers on the legs? Pure Exchequer Leghorn or no? Any guesses on gender?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you think it's crossed, what's your cross guess? Thanks :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The chick is a cross breed. Some breeds with feathered legs are Cochin, Brahma, faverolle, and some Marans. My guess would be cochin.

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Since it has feathered legs, and Leghorns (of any variety) don't have feathered legs, it is a mixed breed. Probably with Cochin.

1 person likes this.
  4. WilloughbyStead

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    Yea I was a little puzzled when I noticed the feathered legs, never heard of a leghorn having feathers and mom is true and true exleghorn.
    My maran cross Americauna has feathered legs..

Any ideas on gender this early? First leghorn chick for me and I don't have Cochin experience.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    much to young to guess - post new photos at around 8 weeks old please

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Feathered legs are dominant, so one parent had to be feathered legged. Since momma ain't, it had to be daddy. You could always contact the seller to see what roosters were available.

From what I can see, the chick has a straight comb. Straight combs are recessive, so the father had to be a straight combed bird. That rules out Brahma, Silkie, Sultan. Only 4 toes rules out Faverolles (5 toes are also dominant).

Odds favor either Cochin or Marans, those are the common breeds. But, Marans have white skin, which is dominant. I'm thinking Cochin is the most likely suspect. But the seller could easily confirm.

7. WilloughbyStead

Nov 30, 2016
    USA-FL
    Unfortunately I don't have the seller's contact information anymore, I think ya'll are right, it's probably a cochin cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by