Hmm, What Can I Do????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dewey101, May 16, 2008.

1. Dewey101

Dewey101 Songster

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    i have around 10 Laying hens and one roo. There averaging around 5 to 6 eggs a day which i think i low, there all around 1 year old. The most Ive had in a day was 8 and lowest was yesterday was 3. There completally happy to my knowlege and I always give them treats. what can i do????

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You are right, you should be getting more eggs from them each day.

A couple of thoughts:

First: Do they free range? Could they be laying their eggs someplace that you don't know about? I found an egg behind a hay bale in the barn one day.

And, I accidentally saw part of an egg sticking up from the pine shavings in the corner. I checked and one of my girls was laying her eggs in the corner and then burying them! If I hadn't have seen that egg sticking out, I would have cleaned out the coop this spring and found who knows how many eggs buried under the bedding! Every day I had to dig in the shavings to find her egg. Silly chickens.

Second: Cut back on the treats. Stick to layer feed, with free choice oyster shell and grit (if needed) and only give an occasional treat.

3. Dewey101

Dewey101 Songster

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    Well, my chickens do not free range bc my dad says we shouldnt take the chance. But i never thought about diggin in the coop for them. But Ill be sure to cut back on treats!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: