1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Hmm... who has special ordered through Tractor Supply?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by happyhens, Feb 17, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Songster

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    I saw a flyer in the Tractor Supply store today that said chick days are returning!!! I am so happy!!!
    Usually by the time I get there, everything is so mixed up and picked over, so I usually don't get what I want. I am going to get an order of chicks this year, probably 30+ chicks (25 layers and 5-10 of another breed that goes broody a lot). Is specialy ordering through Tractor Supply a good idea? Or would I be better off ordering directly from a hatchery? Which is cheaper?

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Songster

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    The TSC here did special orders last year, and I was told they would be shipped directly to me.
    I didn't order from them cause I only wanted 3 for the kids.

This year, they're having the chicks in the store.
    You may want to check with yours and see if they're changing too.

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    do all TSC do this or would I have to call up?

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Songster

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Yep, I saw here they're doing in store....after my hubby said no more chix til the move...HAHAHA!!! I am so ecstatic...what will 5 or so little babies hurt? A silkie or 3 and an americauna or two. I am just more concerned with what will they offer? No offense, but will it be only 'red' birds and broilers, or will they have some variety for ppl like me who have had all the 'layers' and now want the pretty birds just to love... [​IMG]
    Kristi

5. palabeco

palabeco Songster

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I recently checked with my local tsc, they checked on their order list to tell me what they were getting, Mostly RIR, some bantys, and Others, but can't remeber what else. Nothing that I really wanted. And besides, she said that most of them are roosters, since they are all straight run.
    I'm going to place my own order with a hatchery.

6. Cheekon

Cheekon Songster

Jan 26, 2008
    NY
    So all TRS are doing it?
    Do you know what breeds they have, or will it be all SR RIRs rocks and production breeds?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The TSC around here is nothing more than a middle man. You place your order with them, they order from a hatchery, you get the chicks - at a much higher fee than just ordering them yourself from the hatchery. To me it isn't worth the bother.

8. I would think you'd save on shipping, though, right? My feed store is selling chicks for $2.50, basically the same price as online. No shipping charges, you just pick them up when they come in. Maybe TS isn't doing it that way, though? I love my feed store!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    That's interesting, Miss Prissy. Our local feed stores charge less per chick than many hatcheries, usually about $1.75 per chick. I can't figure out how they do that, since they have to pay shipping!

10. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I know with Meyers hatchery the more you order the cheaper they get. In the amount TSC would order it would be pennies per chick.

Does anyone know who TSC orders from? Last I heard it was Ideal and they also give a big lot discount.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: