Hmm

pam

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 18, 2007
puyallup, wa
Hi...I have a hen that has big ole scaly bumps on her feet..i was holding her and noticed it was coming off...so I picked it off. Underneath is raw skin...no scales...Could it be mites? What should I do?? Her feet look arthretic like....I would put a picture on.....if I could figure out how to do it.

Pam

Hi Alex..your link doesn't work.....
hmm.png
I looked qaround for instructions but am not finding any.

pam

Sounds like it could be scaley leg mites? I've heard rubbing the legs with vasoline is the cure, as it suffocates the mites and soothes the skin of the chickens legs. I'm sure other experts will come along shortly with more advice.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yes, that looks like leg mites to me.
I have never had to treat mites, I have seen it in others birds though, Mostly parrots, but that does look like the problem.

Last edited:
I found an artical about leg mites..small but informative. I'm sure there's more info out there. I know I've seen more.

The Scaly-Leg Mite (Knemidocoptes mutans) lives under the scales on feet and legs of poultry. It also may attach to the comb and wattles. It causes a thickening of scales on the feet and legs that gives the impression that the scales are protruding directly outward, rather that laying flat on the limb. It spends its entire life cycle on the birds and spreads mainly by direct contact.
The most effective treatment for all mite species is a regular inspection and spraying program of both the birds and their premises. An appropriate solution of permethrin, when sprayed on the birds, will eliminate all mites that infest the bird. The spraying of all facilities will ensure that any mites hiding in cracks and crevices will be destroyed. The treatment should be repeated on a one to two month schedule or whenever populations of the mites are detected.

Minerial oil works good as well.I believe you soak their feet in it for 10 -15 seconds & repeat in a week or so.You can get minerial oil at a drug store,Wal Mart etc. Vet Rx for poultry is a good to use too, it might be at your local feed store.
I hope she gets better soon.
smile.png

Miriam

Oh yeah, you'll need to totally clean your coops & replace any bedding/ nestbox material.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom