hmmm...boys or girls and which kind? (lots of photos!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamaspider, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mamaspider

mamaspider Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2008
    ok - they're 4 weeks old, and I think I know what some of them are, but am wondering about a few still, and trying to figure out gender. I admit, though, that for all your thicker/ thinner leg, rounded/pointy feather, bigger/pinker comb ideas, I just don't have enough experience yet to know how to compare these! [​IMG]

any thoughts?

white leghorn roo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RIR/Production Red Roo (please tell me no... I really want his one to be a hen!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

unknown breed pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black Australorp boy or girl? bigger comb, but nearly as pink as the others I suspect to be roos... and this is the only Aussie in the bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

buff orp pullets?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one is a hatchery oops, I think? They're supposed to be Dominique pullets... Here's the girls for comparison, and then the one in question - different barring, brighter comb, no tail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    1 you are right
    2) roo RIR
    3) dont know but looks like hen
    4) looks roo
    5 is hen
    6 is hen
    7 with three looks like all three girls
    8)last one looks like a Barred plymoth Rock roo

3. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I agree with chickmomma except on one point. I think that the last one is a Dominique roo, not a rock roo. The comb tipped me off. JMHO

4. mamaspider

Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks! Anyone have any thoughts on the black and white pullet with the mottled legs? What is she?

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I would say that pullet is also an australorp. They will have white on them when that age but that should molt out after the first molt.

6. mamaspider

Feb 19, 2008
    i would not have guessed australorp for her, because she looks so different from the other - yellow beak, instead of black, much more spotty legs and LOTS more white - and they looked very different as fuzzy chicks, too. that wouldn't all be explained by the gender difference would it?

not to be contrary, just actually don't know...!

anyone else have any thoughts on what she might be? (the photo labelled unknown pullet)

Thanks!

edited because i cannot type!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  7. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Im not sure on the other female either, but the ones that you have marked as buff orps look more like buff rocks. Orps have white/pink legs, rocks have yellow.

8. mamaspider

Feb 19, 2008
    i wondered about that, but wasn't sure how you would tell the difference between the two... thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by