Hmmm EE, Araucana, something else??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hens4Fun, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Can anyone tell me what kind of chicks these are? I was told Araucana, but now I think perhaps EE or something else.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    They both look like EE to me. Araucanas are a rumpless bird and have ear tufts. Their name gets used by mistake frequently. What you have are also sometimes referred to as Ameraucanas as well, but that breed has very specific standards for color and body type and lay light blue eggs, so to have a true Ameraucana you would have to get it from a breeder. EEs are a mixed breed that have the blue egg gene but can lay anything from blue to green to olive and even pink I think.

Have fun with your EEs they look fantastic! If you want to learn more about the differences between the three breeds, the sticky at the top of the list in the Breeds, Genetics, and Showing section is an excellent thread.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  3. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] jeez thought I had read those sections, but I don't think I knew to look at the EE's at the time. Now that I do, one thing does stand out ... the "tell-tale chipmunk stripes". These chicks TOTALLY looked like chipmunks when I got them!! Ok ... will enjoy my EE's, then [​IMG]

4. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the "chipmunk stripes" just indicators of a pattern? I've had silkies hatch with chipmunk stripes, so it isn't just EE's.

5. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:This is true!

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, brown Leghorns have them too and Kooshie (the EE in my avatar) didn't have chipmunk stripes.

7. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] But do others agree with the assessment of these two chicks being EE's??

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes- they're EEs. I have some just like that [​IMG]

9. Hens4Fun

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] okey doke .. thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by