Hmmm.. how does this work? Chicken breeds

Lostinidahofalls

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
My chickens were donated by the previous owner of my property I’m not full of chicken knowledge. Right now all my girls are free range. I have one rooster who is a giant red rooster..🤣 that’s about it on his breed description. My ladies will take the long walk around the fencing to visit their boyfriends on the neighbors side. She has a silkie rooster and a lavender breed rooster. One of my girls just brought me 15 chicks. Not sure what I will do with them yet 😬 but I’m curious, I have 7 yellow chicks, and the rest are a mix of mostly black, black and yellow, black with an orange face. I have one really tiny guy, but no feathers on his feet. Do chicks look like their parents? Or do they just come out in weird colors when they are mixed? Just wondering what the yellow ones will be? Red like mom? Actually the mom is black and white, but I have red hens who I’m sure donated eggs. Do I just have to wait and see?

Attachments

• 6B3FA1F8-EB4B-4C80-A344-AB05A69AC591.jpeg
    6B3FA1F8-EB4B-4C80-A344-AB05A69AC591.jpeg
    486.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3CE0CEC0-CC69-4059-B61F-D4B3497F9D8A.jpeg
    3CE0CEC0-CC69-4059-B61F-D4B3497F9D8A.jpeg
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 7E1FD235-4FF4-4A2A-9483-33E4F4F1B5F1.jpeg
    7E1FD235-4FF4-4A2A-9483-33E4F4F1B5F1.jpeg
    690.7 KB · Views: 3
Do chicks look like their parents? Or do they just come out in weird colors when they are mixed?
Sometimes like their parents, sometimes weird colors.
Some of them can be predicted if a person knows a bit about chicken color genetics, while some others surprise everyone.

As an example, lavender-colored chickens often produce black chicks when they are crossed to other colors, but some specific crosses produce light-colored chicks that grow up white.

As another example, when the rooster is "red," it is pretty common for chicks to look like their mother. This is because red is caused by a bunch of recessive genes, so any dominant genes from the mother will be visible in the chicks.

If the Silkie rooster is the father of any chicks, I would expect the chicks to grow normal-textured feathers, but to show some other Silkie traits (examples: feathered feet, an extra back toe on each foot, a crest of feathers on the head, a comb similar to the Silkie's comb shape, black skin. Some chicks might show one trait, others might show another.)

the mom is black and white
A black hen with white barring (like the one in the photo) tends to produce black chicks, and black chicks with white barring like she has, when crossed with most colors of rooster (including red roosters and lavender roosters.)

Back
Top Bottom