hmmm...I wonder....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newchik715, Sep 4, 2009.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    I am debating whether or not I want to raise chicks or buy year old hens. I think raising from chicks would be better for handling the birds and I want them to be like pets as well as to collect eggs. I am worried how involved it is though....I do have to work. Anyway I am wondering if I got a couple of silkies (which I desperately want) and get them at about 6 months to 1 year old, could i give them day old baby chicks of another breed to raise?

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Judging from the stories I read on here from people who get older birds, I've decided to always start with chicks. Older ones can bring a lot of baggage, apparently. BUT then you also get eggs quicker. Hmmmm.

3. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I like starting with baby chicks. They are so much fun I would hate to miss that stage. My granddaughter helps take care of them and she loves the babies. [​IMG]

However, from chicks to eggs is a long wait. [​IMG]

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Chicks are amazingly cute, dos'nt cuteness mean anthing anymore?

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    1 year old birds- They lay sooner, and if you get them from someone who took time with them they will be gentle and cost you less feed and light/brooder costs over time- though... Then you would only have about two years before egg drop offs. Also you have to worry about bringing disease into your flock (depending where you purchase).

Chicks- You have to wait 4-5 months, but have a good 2 and a half years of "perfect" laying time, however. It costs more feeding/keeping them warm. Less risk of disease, and you also get to play with chicks. You may look into buying juveniles though if you want young ones...

6. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I got my first chickens when they were laying. The problem is with hatching or getting day old chicks, unless they are sexed you'll probably end up with surplus males you dont want, but then as they get older you'll have the knowledge that you raised every single one of your flock from babies. What ever one you decide I wish you the best of luck [​IMG]

7. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    okay....so what about getting year old silkies who are said to be great mamas and then getting baby chicks and giving them to the silkies to raise?

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:It may happen but i wouldn't try it unless you hatched the chicks under the silkies from eggs you purchased (or had).

9. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Good idea. Make sure they are broody first though [​IMG] . Also, while they have chicks they will stop laying until the brood of chicks grow up and leave. [​IMG]

10. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

I debated that too, I am not patient...the egg thing is killing me. But I dont even want to go near the biosecurity and all that crap...I guess to me its worth the wait to avoid all the issues you could have getting older birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by