hmmm. more questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wackwack, Nov 2, 2011.

1. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    Reading all the fab topics on here gives me soooo much valuable info, but also lets me with some questions!!
    1-molt. What? When? Why? How often? Who!!!!!
    2- [​IMG] ye'all r depressing me talking about all your eggs [​IMG] I have no eggs, and the common feeling here (ireland) is ducks dont lay again until feb/march.... [​IMG] I still check tho, several times a day hehehe

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    all birds molt out old feathers to grow new ones in the fall of every year

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Mine all went through their molt here in fall... And as for eggs it depends on your breed of duck. My mallards and Rouen I won't expect an egg until spring but the Pekin and WH should start laying again soon.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Muscovy hens are through laying for the year, and are going through molt now.

5. wackwack

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    2 runners and a pekin?aylsbury/pekin x
    the guy i got them from told me the runners would start in feb and the white one [​IMG] in november, but other people here advertising ducks for sale are advertising them as 'finished laying till spring' so i dunno!

when they are molting is there anything i should do, or watch out for?

i have noticed excess white feathers the last 2 days or so, when i went in 2 nights ago to put them to bed i thought someone had been attacked!! there was lots of tiny white feathers.....
    does it signify any thing? age? laying?
    do they do it every year ya? drakes too?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:yes they molt every year drakes too, when they are molting it is hard on their bodies, so plenty of good food, protein, takes about a month, it will look like they have been plucked but they will have beautiful new feathers when through. And they don't lay when in molt.

7. wackwack

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    ah-ha. Thank you Miss Lydia!!
    so. if shes molting now, mabe she will start laying after that....
    i shall live in hope and block my ears to anything else [​IMG] and still check every day! just incase!!
    a month, sheesh, its gonna be someeee mess!!! if the weather wasnt so rubbish and horrible i could collect them up....they are soggy and mucky tho [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'm not sure but seems I read that pekin and runners will lay all year round, don't quote me though until someone who has those 2 breeds chimes in. [​IMG]

9. wackwack

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    i have read that, but also read that they dont!!!!!
    i think maybe different climates, guess i just have to wait and see...!!!!! cant even get duck eggs in shope here, only the rare health food shop or alternative food shop, so i cant even pretend!!!!! [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I can't even find anyone here who likes duck eggs, so i use them for baking and also make egg salad, [just don't tell my dh that there are ducks eggs mixed in with the chicken eggs] he's so silly. Sometimes my dogs get a special treat of duck eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by