Hmmm so many to pick from....

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Sooo I am new to chickens. So new I dont even have one yet. lol
I have been reading up on them for a good few months now but still dont know which breed would be best.
I know I want a larger breed. I know I dont want a white colored breed either, or do I? hmm
I want something that would be good for a 3 year old (cant have them chasing him around...even though that would be humorous)
Something good in confinement
Good egg laying and eating (even though I dont know if I could ever eat my own bird..)

07-08 BUFF ORPINGTONS,AMERICAUANA'S, PRODUCTION REDS,BARRED ROCKS,AMERICAUANA BANTAMS, BB REDS, BLACK OE AND SILVER DUCKWINGS. SEVERAL HUNDRED TO CHOOSE FROM. I ALSO HAVE BRONZE TURKEYS, PEACOCKS, PIGEONS AND GUIENAS

Thats an add from craigslist. This guy is located around me. Are any of these what I could be looking for??
How do turkeys and chickens get along??​

For kids ( I have 3!) Australorps, Light Brahmas (very gentle and docile) and Barred Rocks. The Black Jersey Giants are very gentle. Our boys carry them around the yard . We raise all these breeds and they are so tame.
smile.png

I would say from his list the Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. I doubt he has Ameraucanas (note the spelling, there is no I in Ameraucana), my guess is that he has Easter Eggers, a mutt chicken often called an Ameraucana by mistake. Easter Eggers might lay a blue egg but there is no guarantee. Easter Eggers would be a good choice as well. I would go and look at the birds before I would commit to buying them. Make sure they are in good health.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Quote:
Our 2 year old GS carries my brahmas around. If you don't want white birds, you could get buff brahmas.
Is the guy selling grown birds or chicks? If they are grown you could be buying his problems or birds to old to lay.

I love my easter eggers (what he's calling americauna). They're sweet, beautiful, semi-large, come in a variety of colors, and lay great-colored eggs. That would be my choice, and barred rocks are a close second.

He says there is 100s to choose from (which makes me fear disease...)
I like barred rocks myself buuuttt am still not sure.

Well... I've only bought chickens from hatcheries, but I'd think that since you have no chickens to infect at home already, you might be okay. But I'm no great expert.

It's not just disease you have to worry about when getting someone else's chickens. I'd want to know their exact age. Maybe I'm just mistrustful.
If he's selling hens past their prime, what you'd end up with is basically eating machines without eggs to offer you in exchange for their feed.

i just am scared of buying a big medical bill..
that wont go over well with my SO whos already sittin on the fence about this lol

I was so worried about my daughter being too rough and wanting something so docile I forwent the larger breed and got silkies which are actually a 'medium' size... they seem larger then the banties to me. Anyhow, My next choice would have been the Buff Orps. I thought I was going to lose out on egg prodcution with the silkies... they are small eggs, but I get 5 a week easy and have had as many as 7 in a week from one bird... so I'm happy.

My 18 months old will pick up my oldest pullet and and walk around with her like snuggling her teddy bear, and it doesn't bunge. In fact she will easily sit on her lap and eat raisins out of a bowl for 30 minutes!

Leaves mommy free to clean the coop!!!
lol.png

I would suggest the BOs, I haven't met one that I didn't like
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom