Hmmm...they all went to sleep on me...

Chad Oftedal

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Woodinville, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Today was our big day - we brought home 8 little chicks that hatched on Valentine's Day, so they're 6 days old. I tried to get them earlier in the day, but ran into unplanned things, and we didn't make it to the store until 4:30. We picked out 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, and 2 Ameraucanas. The employee boxing them up checked their fuzzy bottoms to make sure all were clean, and that each bird looked perky and healthy - which they all did. The ride home took about 40 minutes, and they chirped quite a bit in their covered cardboard box at the start, but then seemed to huddle up and go to sleep. When we got home, I carefully took them out one-by-one and put them in the brooder box that I built (6 ft long x 2.5 ft wide x 2.5 ft high). I have a medium sized Comfort Heating Plate which I had turned on so that it would be at temp when I got back home. As I set them in the brooder box, I was expecting that they might explore a bit, but once they were all in the brooder box, one figured out that the Comfort Heating plate was warm (I have it angled so it is higher in the front and lower in the back), and wandered underneath it. Within a minute or so, all were under it, and they sort of made a "chick pile" after some jostling around and conversation. For a few minutes, there was some chatter, but then it went quiet. About 10 minutes later, I put my head next to the floor and peered in through the side, and they all appear to be sound asleep - no chirping, just content.

So, is this all OK? I didn't even really get a chance to show them where their water and food is at, or anything else about their new accommodations. The store that I bought them at stays open until 6 pm, so by the time I was home and putting them in the brooder box, was probably pretty close to "lights out" time in their old home. I'm inclined to just let them sleep - they had access to good food and water all day, so I'm not worried about full bellies, I just didn't know if they will naturally explore in the morning for their food, or if I should plan on helping guide them at that time. I'm more than happy to work with them (I have a nipple waterer for chicks instead of a bowl that they've been raised on) so I understand I'll most likely need to educate them there. I guess I just expected there would be some adjustment time needed to settle them down, but that just didn't happen, they just trotted off to bed.

You're off to a terrific start! You had everything set up perfectly, heat plate all warm and ready. It was nighttime, and chicks will sleep all night if they don't have a bright light glaring down on them. Your chicks did what comes naturally to healthy chicks. They sleep.

Congratulations!

Today was our big day - we brought home 8 little chicks that hatched on Valentine's Day, so they're 6 days old. I tried to get them earlier in the day, but ran into unplanned things, and we didn't make it to the store until 4:30. We picked out 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, and 2 Ameraucanas. The employee boxing them up checked their fuzzy bottoms to make sure all were clean, and that each bird looked perky and healthy - which they all did. The ride home took about 40 minutes, and they chirped quite a bit in their covered cardboard box at the start, but then seemed to huddle up and go to sleep. When we got home, I carefully took them out one-by-one and put them in the brooder box that I built (6 ft long x 2.5 ft wide x 2.5 ft high). I have a medium sized Comfort Heating Plate which I had turned on so that it would be at temp when I got back home. As I set them in the brooder box, I was expecting that they might explore a bit, but once they were all in the brooder box, one figured out that the Comfort Heating plate was warm (I have it angled so it is higher in the front and lower in the back), and wandered underneath it. Within a minute or so, all were under it, and they sort of made a "chick pile" after some jostling around and conversation. For a few minutes, there was some chatter, but then it went quiet. About 10 minutes later, I put my head next to the floor and peered in through the side, and they all appear to be sound asleep - no chirping, just content.

So, is this all OK? I didn't even really get a chance to show them where their water and food is at, or anything else about their new accommodations. The store that I bought them at stays open until 6 pm, so by the time I was home and putting them in the brooder box, was probably pretty close to "lights out" time in their old home. I'm inclined to just let them sleep - they had access to good food and water all day, so I'm not worried about full bellies, I just didn't know if they will naturally explore in the morning for their food, or if I should plan on helping guide them at that time. I'm more than happy to work with them (I have a nipple waterer for chicks instead of a bowl that they've been raised on) so I understand I'll most likely need to educate them there. I guess I just expected there would be some adjustment time needed to settle them down, but that just didn't happen, they just trotted off to bed.
It seems that these 8 lucky little fuzzies have been adopted by a wonderful person. Good luck with them. :jumpy

DO make sure you have food in their brooder at all times though. AS I've been doing (so as I was told), they get up in the middle of the night for *snacks*, so best to make sure it's there if and when they want it. Same for water.

Plus, I don't think I've ever had to *teach* my clock to use a nipple waterer. We hung it, would tap is a couple times to bring out the water while ONE was looking, it's curiosity would bring it to the nipple and, boop, bob's your uncle and they were all off to the races! Good luck!

It's ok if they sleep. My chicks would be awake chirping and chasing each other.. 2 min later.. I was alarmed at the complete silence to find them all passed in in a chick pile lol. They will wake up 10 min later and it continued just like that minutes of play, eat, then pass out. When they get older they will stop sleeping as often it's just a baby thing.

Your brooded box is a perfect height and will contain them til about 5-6 wks. As long as you show them where the food and water is they will be fine. You'll want to dip the tip of their beak in water. If your using your own type of 'bowl' put marbles or rocks inside with the water they can accidentally drown themselves.

DO make sure you have food in their brooder at all times though. AS I've been doing (so as I was told), they get up in the middle of the night for *snacks*, so best to make sure it's there if and when they want it. Same for water.

Plus, I don't think I've ever had to *teach* my clock to use a nipple waterer. We hung it, would tap is a couple times to bring out the water while ONE was looking, it's curiosity would bring it to the nipple and, boop, bob's your uncle and they were all off to the races! Good luck!
Chicks brooded with light get up at all hours, chicks brooded with alternative heat....such as the plate this op is using.....live by a natural day/night cycle (provided no other artificial light is used in the area of the brooder during the night hours) and sleep through the night with no need for feed at night.

Last edited:
You have some great advice here. Just remember mother nature has this handled.
Give them warmth, food, water and they will thrive.
Give them attention, scratch, and mealworms and they will love you.

Don't overthink it. Chickens are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom