Hmmmm..... maybe I didn't think this through wel enough.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmama320, Jun 6, 2011.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Two years ago we got some chickens.... unfortunately they did not survive my foster walker hound. We got a few more last year to replace them and for some reason they did not make it through the winter.... I'm guessing I didn't have the coop free from drafts when it snow here.
    Well, we have a nice coop just sitting in the back yard. We kept talking about not getting any more, even though I was wanted them, but didn't want to push it on hubby. Well on Saturday he said that since we are trying to stay in the house for a little while longer than what we were thinking a few months ago (we are military) that he would like to go ahead and get some more. I had found a guy that had some 9-12 week olds. I e-mailed, I called, no answer. Called again today and the number was disconnected. So I stopped by the feed store and then had babies.... like 3-4 day old hens and the roosters are a little bit older. I just fell in love instantly! I got 4 females and 1 male. Of course didn't really think the whole housing situation through all the way. I don't think they can go outside yet. Its in the 90's during the day, but only 68-72 at night. Any opinions? Is it at least safe to put them out during the day. I have a coop with an attached A-frame roof, so hawks are not going to be able to swoop down and get them. Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Do you have any pictures???

3. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    If they are only a few days old then they need to stay inside under a heat lamp till they are at least 4 weeks old. I dont put mine outside till they are about 8 weeks old. This is all just my opinion as I am by no means a chicken expert. But I have never lost a bird before. Good luck with your new birds.

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    At those temperatures, they need some kind of heat at least at night. At that age, they would be ducking under momma for heat. Momma tends to kick them to the curb around 4-5 weeks. I put mine out at 4.5 weeks with no problems. I use a large unused bathtub in my bathroom as a brooder. Do you have a dog crate or something you can keep them in to better control their temperatures? You can keep it inside or in the coop with a heat source like a heat lamp. You just have to check them to make sure they aren't panting (too hot) or huddling (too cold) and adjust to make them more comfortable.

At that age, they don't self regulate temperature. They have no means to do so until they are older and have at least most of their feathers. Also, smaller groups can't generate as much heat in a huddle when they are too cold. The general rule of thumb is that chicks in their first week are kept at around 90 degrees F and the temp dropped 5 degrees every following week until they are feathered. Start there and observe their behavior to adjust the temps to meet their needs.

5. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Thanks for the advice!!

[​IMG]
    4 of the 5 Babies.... one is by the computer with me right now.

[​IMG]
    Hmmmm..... I think he has already grown since I bought him.... he didn't look that much bigger than them at the store.

[​IMG]
    I really like the mask around her eyes.

[​IMG]
    Close up of big man.

[​IMG]
    This is the one that I squished about 2 hours ago.... she has definately perked up but I am still worried about her.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Cuties!

7. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    I wouldnt worry too much about to squished chick. I know a guy whos baby chick got trampled by a goat and its healthy and good as ever.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Wow 8 weeks? but you do let them out for periods of time before that right? Or are they totally confined for the whole 8 weeks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by