1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TroyerGal, Dec 14, 2016.

1. TroyerGal

TroyerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

So... I bred a Lavender Orpington Roo, and a White Leghorn hen. Lavender ALWAYS BREEDS TRUE... Why are the chicks splashed with black?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Chicks as in puff balls or grown young birds? You have a photo?

Trying to figure out if it's fluff or growing feathers your getting the color from. I'd assume that cross would produce black birds. Lavender needs two gene copies to express, with one copy it's black. The Leghorn doesn't have lavender in it so would not breed lavender rather birds that are split for lavender. Of course they are now also split for white so if the chicks were bred to one another the offspring would be 25% lav, 25% white and remaining 50% split in some ratio for both white and Lav.

3. TroyerGal

They are fully feathered. I do not have a photo... But what you said made sense! I need to read up on genetics some more [​IMG]

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Lavender color is not a dominant gene. It expresses with two copies. Barring is an example of a dominant trait and expresses with one copy.

Genetics can be tough but you'll get there. I only know the basics but there are some real genetic gurus here on BYC pages.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Not sure where you got the idea lavender breeds true? It's a recessive gene, so lavender to lavender should breed true. But like all recessive, if you outcross, you lose it on that F1 generation.

Genetically, your lavender birds are black. When the bird gets a copy of the lavender from each parent, you get a lavender bird. If you cross it to something else, the genetics work like you're breeding a black bird.

Leghorns carry dominant white, which basically turns black into white. Cross a Leghorn with a black bird, and you get white birds with spots and splashes of black. I say splashes of black, but the bird is not splash in color, that's based on black/blue/splash genetics.

So the bummer is, breeding a lavender bird to another color basically wastes the pretty lavender coloring, it won't come through in the offspring.

6. TroyerGal

Thanks... I guess I'm a little silly [​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Lavender will breed true to lavender. Bred with anything else it will breed as black.

But I can see that was already answered, and even better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by