1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOA- Are Doves and Pigeons Against the Rules??

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by PoultryQueen29, Apr 14, 2012.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    My HOA laws state that "No animals, livestock or poultry of any kind may be raised, bred, kept or permitted on any property, with the exception of dogs, cats or other usual and common household pets." Do you think doves and pigeons are illegal with these rules? It's confusing becuase they aren't really livestock or poultry and some breeds are common house pets but other breeds aren't. Can someone clear this up for me?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand

ask them... don't mention they are pigeons/ dove... just say you'd like to keep birds, ask for the rule/ permission in writing.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I was thinking about doing that. That's really the the only way to know. Thanks :)

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Most areas pigeon are poulty

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    doves would pass as those are common household pets

6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yeah considering that diamond doves are sold in petsmart I think they would be common household pets. Pigeons aren't really poultry though are they?

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Some pigeons are raised for meat. So some cities consider them poultry some state on the check your state

8. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I keep pigeons in a city where no animals are allowed except cats and dogs and the usual. I don't care. they won't mess with me. I am not infringing upon anybody elses rights, and i have a right to raise animals on my property. I refuse to talk to town officials and would never let one on my property without a warrant. its that simple. if they waste there time getting a warrant to take a few pigeons, than more power to them...... but they won't. I also have a goat too. But i am weird that way.
    Go ahead with it, PM me for more advice, i have many books on the subject. i am just keeping it simple here.

9. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:
    A goat? That must be fun. Goats are so cute!

10. Towman72gmc

Towman72gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

By federal law pigeons are not considered poultry. I'm not sure the year, but Carter signed it into law. If someone is willing to fight it all the way to federal court they'll win.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by