HOA blames snapping turtles on Duck Deaths

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sweetcaroline, Nov 2, 2015.

1. sweetcaroline

sweetcaroline Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2013
    Nevada
    Hi everyone, I just recently posted that sadly four Muscovy ducks were found floating headless in my communities lake. Today I contacted our HOA for answers, and they told me that the snapping turtles killed them. I don't believe this even though I know snapping turtles can do harm to ducks, but can they completely take heads off? And especially off a Muscovy who are not small ducks? I think it was human cruelty but Hoa won't admit it.
    Any input on this turtle possibility?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Since they were found floating, it may very well be humans, but many predators kill by removing the eggs - GHO being a prime example.

Duh, I should preview my posts - many predators kill by removing 'the heads'. Several years ago in Central park they were finding decapitated ducks. Thought was that either a deranged individual or a 'satanic cult' was responsible. Turned out to be a Great Horned Owl.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. duckmanjim

duckmanjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Georgia
    Raccoons will kill ducks, not eat them, just decapitate them!

4. sweetcaroline

May 17, 2013
    Nevada
    Raccoons will kill ducks, not eat them, just decapitate them![/quote

I guess it's a possibility
    But here in Las Vegas we have very few predators, coyotes and hawks mostly.
    Thanks for thoughts on this

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm still betting on a GHO. Please read my edited post. Only thing that throws me off is the fact that the bodies were floating in the lake.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Wouldn't the owl take the duck after killing it and carry it off and eat it ? and snapping turtles eat duck too not just decapitate them. I don't think a raccoon would swim out into the water just to decapitate the ducks either.

7. sweetcaroline

May 17, 2013
    Nevada
    Since they were found floating, it may very well be humans, but many predators kill by removing the eggs - GHO being a prime example.

Duh, I should preview my posts - many predators kill by removing 'the heads'.  Several years ago in Central park they were finding decapitated ducks.  Thought was that either a deranged individual or a 'satanic cult' was responsible.  Turned out to be a Great Horned Owl.
    [/quote

But we don't have owls or raccoons here
    Well none I've ever seen, just hawks and coyotes, and coyotes take them and eat them. It's a mystery I just hope it's not human cruelty.
    Thanks for your insight on this.

8. DucksAndGardens

DucksAndGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Weasels will take the heads too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by