HOA compliance for chickens in Highlands Ranch, CO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZackH, Oct 12, 2015.

1. ZackH

ZackH New Egg

Oct 12, 2015
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Hello BYC members!
    Just wondering if there are any other other BYC members living in HR with back yard chickens? We do and would like to get some other ideas/ feed back in regards to meeting construction compliance/ designs and requirements with HOA.
    Thank Ya fer reedin, Z

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Zach - this thread doesn't get a high volume of readers. Your best bet would be to post on your state thread. Hopefully folks from your area will rally behind you.

3. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It appears in your county you can have up to 4 hens for small residential lots, but I was unable to find any association bylaws that would confirm that is allowable in your association... You will probably have to contact the HOA directly and confirm...

http://www.douglas.co.us/documents/animal-information-packet.pdf

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Zack, [​IMG]

MeepBeep has given you good advice to check with your HOA direct. Sometimes what they will/won't allow is different from your county regulations.

Good luck to you, hope you can get some birds!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    [​IMG]

7. bug234

bug234 New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    Hi Zack,
    My family just moved to Highlands Ranch in August. We left our chickens behind when we moved here and are in the same boat as you. I understand there is an approval process through the HOA. I think you can access an application online. I would like to get more information as well before I start. I haven't personally met any chicken owners yet, but I just found a Facebook page called Highlands Ranch Backyard Chickens. Maybe our questions could be answered there. Good luck!

8. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Good luck with the HOA. Mine have been a headache. :rolleyes:

9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I know late - Chickens are allowed, and I miss HR every day. They are not allowed in Parker, one of the few places that has the room for them... The coop will need to be approved and painted to match your home. That was the biggest restricting I dealt with there. (I think I just wanted to vent since I just got told I had to get rid of my girls, but I tried to be constructive in case you have not gotten them yet)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by