HOA rules and regulations

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by springcreekchic, Feb 27, 2017.

1. springcreekchic

springcreekchic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I have found myself in the unique position of being able to help shape the recommendations for committee action on the number of birds our HOA is willing to allow in our HOA. I am curious about how to approach this subject. There are many FFA and 4H kids who will be affected by these rules. I am of the mind that it is not so much a matter or numbers as it is good animal husbandry in the form of biosecurity and flock management protocols. If you were to be asked to speak about this in front of a random HOA committee, what would be your take on it? I am preparing a list of Internet resources for the kids in the audience, and my presentation is going to cover good animal husbandry protocols, disease control...ie...biosecurity....and a plea to move away from flock numbers and a move toward trying to help people understand and commit to good biosecurity on their properties. What would you speak on, and why?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would first talk to your county extension office and see if you can get some expert help. They should have contact with a chicken expert, probably associated with your state land grant university. They may even show up at your meeting to talk or answer questions, you never know until you ask, but as a minimum see if you can get them to agree with your speech. That may give you some credibility and avoid you passing on bad information about biosecurity or anything else. The 4-H angle could help you. 4-H is usually part of the extension office anyway, so find out what the 4-H options and requirements are for the kids. Try to use that to your advantage. Since you mention 4-H I assume you are in the USA.

Many feed stores have minimums that they will sell, often six. I suggest you talk to your local feed stores and see the minimum number of chicks they’ll sell. That would be a logical minimum.

In an HOA setting numbers do matter. There are the basic questions about why people would have chickens in that setting. Is it just for a few eggs, to breed chickens, to raise meat birds, just so many possible reasons? The more chickens you have the more poop you have to deal with. The more poop you have the more likely it is to stink. Will your trash pick-up handle that poop or maybe piles of bedding if you clean regularly or will they handle chicken carcasses? If you have roosters, they can be pretty loud.

I don’t know all the restrictions in place or being considered for chickens in that HOA, but I think you’ll get better results if you go in with “reasonable” numbers instead of trying to convince them that numbers don’t matter.

Good luck!

3. springcreekchic

springcreekchic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Thank you for your thoughts. My FFA kid talked to her poultry team and advisors and they are planning on speaking at the meeting. We live in an area that is zoned agricultural and residential, and for the past 20yrs there has been no interest in how many birds you kept. Most people self limit based on resources and ability. We are undergoing a period of build out in our area and maybe that is fueling this conversation. Getting the local FFA people and 4H people to show up and talk is maybe the best route.

4. fluffiechick

fluffiechick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2017
    I heard about this story! I am sorry for your troubles. I hope it does not get as bad as this lady problems. Yikes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by