HOA rules and regulations

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by springcreekchic, Feb 27, 2017.

1. springcreekchic

springcreekchic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    I have found myself in the unique position of being able to help shape the recommendations for committee action on the number of birds our HOA is willing to allow in our HOA. I am curious about how to approach this subject. There are many FFA and 4H kids who will be affected by these rules. I am of the mind that it is not so much a matter or numbers as it is good animal husbandry in the form of biosecurity and flock management protocols. If you were to be asked to speak about this in front of a random HOA committee, what would be your take on it? I am preparing a list of Internet resources for the kids in the audience, and my presentation is going to cover good animal husbandry protocols, disease control...ie...biosecurity....and a plea to move away from flock numbers and a move toward trying to help people understand and commit to good biosecurity on their properties. What would you speak on, and why?

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Lots of variables here. How big are the lots that the homes are situated on? You might want to focus on position of the coops and pens and how far from a neighbor's line they could be if the grounds are big enough.

3. springcreekchic

springcreekchic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2014
    Lots are mostly 1-2 acres. There are already dors for set backs. This is specifically about roosters and numbers. What makes a sustainable breeding program, production program for market birds, sustainable backyard flock. Where do you begin to use numbers as guidelines? I thought maybe the focus should be on coop design limitations and biosecurity guidelines, but they seem to want to play a numbers game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by