Hoarding/hiding rare and threatened breeds - Why?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChickenCanoe, Dec 8, 2011.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No other section seemed like the place to post this but here is my question and I'm stumped.
    I believe people out there have some breeds that they (for whatever reason) seem to be hiding from the public. I just wonder what's the reason.
    If someone has a rare breed, it has some value greater than the more common breeds. If you are breeding them, what do you do with them? How much chicken and eggs can a family eat? It takes a lot of money to feed birds over time and fertile eggs/chicks/started birds that could fetch a high price goes a long way toward a feed bill. I just don't know the motivation behind hoarding.

A couple breeds come to mind - LF Lamona, Black Penedesenca, Quetro, Quechua, Swedish Black Hens. They're supposed to be around but no one knows where. If they know they're not telling or selling. I don't get it. Please share some insight.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Some people are working on their breeding programs and are trying to achieve the best quality birds. They don't want to sell subpar birds, so they don't sell them at all. A lot of dedicated breeders have very high cull rates to get rid of birds that don't meet breed standards.

3. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I guess its along the same mentality of those really rich people that collect rare stuff that should be in museums. They want to be the one who has it, and they don't want to share. If the breeders/keepers of these rare breeds make themselves known, good chance they are either going to be expected to share with the world, or at least be bothered alot about it. What sparked this question, just curious. [​IMG]

4. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

There are probably tons of breeds that are not main stream.

A few things come to my mind.

1. Maybe they want to own a rare breed that only very few people own. and hen and a roo sold to somene could bring the breed from rare to common in just a few short years. Or maybe they just don't want a commercial hatchery getting hold of the breed and then mass producing it and lowering the value of there birds.

Some breeds are being created right now. Maybe there still in the stage of getting the colors the breeders wants the breed to have etc.

another thing maybe they don't know everyone wants that breed so they are not out there trying to sell them.
    It is bad to hord the breed though as if they are all in one location and boom a disease or bug hits them that could be the end of that breed al together.

Another thing could be that there are a lot of breeds in other countries that have not been imported to other countries etc. or maybe its even a crime to transport the breed out of the country. You never know.

Thats all I can think of atm.

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:I considered that and you're probably right.

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats a good point too. They don't want every tom, dick, and harry out there doing the "backyard breeding" version with the chickens that the original breeders are trying to perfect. Goodness knows we have that problem in the dog and cat world. Although it is every persons right to breed chickens, I guess if you are trying to preserve a breed, you'd want to make sure it was done right. Kind of like that guy that had a wild game preserve, with alot of exotics, like Bengal Tigers. The guy let them all loose, then killed himself. These animals were loose on the town and authorities were forced to kill all but a few. It was very sad, but the experts said that even if they could of kept them alive and though these were exotic and rare breeds, there was no way they could be represented as such, since they had no idea what type of lineage they had. Many can be inbred. Therefore, even though it would be neat to see these exotic and rare breeds of chickens, I can see them being secret about it, to an extent.

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Any manner of reasons...science, say.

I've been years trying to mate my rooster and the milk cow.

Think about it. I'll be filthy rich.

A chicken that lays an egg and gives me a gallon of milk a day...

I started out trying to get the cow to lay an egg, but realized I
    would need a really big carton for a dozen cow eggs.

Spook... who doesn't know much science

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I know a few breeders that went "underground"...remember the MI breeder thread I had a few years back? It was awful for one BYCer to badmouth him all over the place, thus, he went over backwards to please this lady but it was not to HER satisfaction. She was the ONLY person who complained. Everyone else was very pleased with his birds. It cost him money and he emailed me saying he wants to deal NOTHING with BYCers or do business with them. It was good going then this happens. He went underground and a few selected people he trusts, he would only sell the birds to them. It just takes one bad apple for any hard working breeder to go underground again and you won't hear from them again. It's sad but I do understand where he is coming from and I respect him for that. I am glad to have him as my friend. I would not do that again causing pain for both of us. He had some beautiful exhibition birds and a few of them are rare too.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know why either. That concept is so foreign to me, it doesn't even register. But why will people pay outrageous prices for stolen art or protected antiquities that can never be shown? If someone finds out they have it, they could go to jail. Yet some people collect that stuff.

Maybe some people want something rare and exotic. If they let breeding stock out, it is no longer rare and exotic?????

Maybe some people have such a passion for the breed they don't consider anyone else can maintain the breed???

I just don't know. Very little about human behavior really surprises me, but there are many things I really don't understand.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I understand lots of these points(except the one about the huge cow eggs)

I guess I'm not that clandestine. If it were me, I'd put people on a waiting list and say I'll have birds in 3 or 5 years or whatever. I wouldn't say "It's top secret" with no further explanation.
    That's just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by