Hoarse chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harris Chicks, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Harris Chicks

Harris Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    Arkansas
    We just got our last set of girls a couple weeks ago. We have one, Joanna, whos cap is flopped over. No biggie? But she keeps stretching her neck out with her beak open. When they all talk to you she sounds hoarse. Not sure if this is normal for her or be worried. I have massaged her crop. At first it felt empty but when i did it again there was some foos in there. So she is not doing it as much. But she still the last up to eat and stands back from the others. Even with meal worms she mighr try a couple.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

How old is she - any photos[​IMG]

She may have be having some crop issues or it could be stress from going to a new home. Check her crop when she goes to roost and then first thing in the morning. It should be full/firm at night and empty/flat in the morning.

Watch to see that she is drinking well, she could be dehydrated. Also take a look inside her beak, just to make sure she has no blockages, canker, etc.

Here's a very good article on crop issues and how to treat them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

3. Harris Chicks

Harris Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2017
    Arkansas
    [​IMG]
    The guy we got them from said a year old but he had so many. I have been massaging her crop and it seems a little better. Her crop never really feels full. Its better than it was but not like the other girls. I will definitely check out the link. Im trying to get a picture to upload.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by