Hoarse Duck Hen.

DucksinOR

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Our ten month old Rouen hen is hoarse. When we brought her in today to check her foot (one of her toes is swollen), instead of making her cute little quacking sounds, she sounds more like a drake that is just starting to quack. She seems fine other than that. She is eating, playing and acting normal.

Any ideas what is wrong with her?

My Runner duck had the voice change back in the fall. After asking around, Amiga and I decided that it was hormonal. I added about 2T of APple Cider Vinegar per gal of drinking water, and my girl was back to normal in about a week or so. If you run a search, Amiga has a very good thread about her Carmella losing her quack, too. Good Luck.

We are not sure what is wrong with her foot. (it is the end joint of her middle toe on her left foot) It almost looks like a huge bumble developing. We have been applying Nu-Stock, and soaking it in Epsom salts. I almost thought that she broke her toe, but now, it doesn't seem like that is the problem.
idunno.gif

Sounds like a good approach - I was able to take Romy to a vet who works with chickens when she had something like that, and Marty1876 had explained that swelling that won't go away indicates the presence of a splinter or something similar that needs to come out. Anyway, knowing that from Marty1876, and knowing the vet is a really good vet, I took Romy in and the vet was able to find and remove the tiniest little splinter from her toe.

Marty1876 suggested a potato bandage for Mildred, and that seemed to work, also.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639013/my-girl-mildred-ninja-duck/50

Mildred, Marty1876, and newbyduckmom are highly esteemed in my world.

Back
Top Bottom