Hoarse pullet

ladyhand

Songster
May 27, 2021
Greensboro, NC
I'm trying really hard not to freak out because my favorite pullet (19 weeks) has had a hoarse voice today (I know I'm not supposed to have favorites but she's the only one who will willingly get up next to me and let me pet or hold her). She sounds aren't loud and higher pitched (more like a chick). She is eating, she's drinking, she jumped up next to me, she's layed and her comb and wattles are vibrant red, her poop looks normal, and she's currently scratching with her flockmates in the leaves. Is there anything I can do? I tried googling chicken hoarse, but that was worse than WebMD

If you can get a video and post to youtube or other host and put the link here it would help to see/hear what she's doing. Two quick possibilities are that this is her getting her adult voice, some of them can sound pretty raspy and hoarse while that happens, and it's normal. Another common reason is stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway, often from a bit of feed that gets stuck, and it will often resolve on it's own. You can open her beak and look in her mouth and throat to see if there is anything obvious. If you do a search for stridor in chickens there are some videos out there of what it sounds like. If it persists and doesn't resolve then a respiratory infection would have to be considered, particularly if there is any discharge from beak, eyes or nares.

Thank you! Two of my others started sounding a little like it at times during their vocalizations this morning, so I'm going to pray that it's just the "adult voice" thing. The first one was the first to lay, quickly followed by the two who are concerning me this morning. But again, they're acting completely normal and happy. I'll try to get a video later today if it gets worse.

If you have a vet that see's birds they can test to see what it may be. There are respiratory virus's that are not 'curable', the symptoms come and go during times of stress, the birds remain carriers. The symptoms can be treated, but will recur. So know what it actually is is helpful in determining treatment. Tylan or tylosin is often used for respiratory symptoms. I would watch for any discharge, as I mentioned before, any plaques or lesions in the mouth and throat, any bad smell around the face and beak, and swelling around the eyes, bubbles or foam in the eye.
https://www.bird-vet.com/ChickenVet-ChronicRespiratoryDisease-CRD.aspx

Back
Top Bottom