Hoarse, Raspy Chicken- Please Help!

two-toed-tony

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2020
Newburyport, MA
Hi there! Advice needed!

We have one 7 month old pullet named Gwyn, who developed a hoarse, wistle-like rasp yesterday evening. She seems energetic but has essentially lost her voice. She hadn't been exceptionally loud so I don't think it has to do with overusing her voice.

A few things that also happened recently:
> All of our hens ate a ton of fresh maple leaves from a branch that fell into their run area.
> The hen in question had a small tear in her wattle that we disinfected and that seems to have scabbed over and is healing. It didn't swell, so it didn't seem infected.

It's evening now and she's had this persistent whistling rasp for 24 hours now. Does anyone know what this could be? we gave her a couple drops of VetRx and also fed her oatmeal with garlic and cayenne just in case she has gape worm.

Is this a good this a good time deworm her just in case it's a worm problem?

Here's a video of her trying to talk this 2 days after this started:

Last edited:
I'm not too sure what this could be but if you haven't dewormed your flock then you might as well do it just to be extra safe.

Is there any way that you can post a video of her making the noise, and upload it to YouTube or Vimeo with a link here? Here is a video where a chicken makes a stridor sound—is the sound you are hearing similar:

Hi Eggcessive! Yes, I recorded her trying to talk here:
It's so horribly sad sounding! I'm picking up some Safe-Guard today to treat for worms on the off chance it's gape worm. In the meanwhile any hints at all about what this is would be so appreciated!!!

Back
Top Bottom