Hoarse rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OllieMom, Mar 10, 2009.

1. OllieMom

OllieMom New Egg

Mar 10, 2009
    My bantam rooster, Ollie, is almost 2, and a delight. Who knew chickens were so charming? Found your site looking for information on hoarseness...his crow, which was so musical, has been petering out lately, without overuse as far as I know. Any similar observations and solutions would be very welcome!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I had a 2 year old roo who lost his "voice". After a week and a half, I called the vet, who does treat birds, but is a long ways off, and he said start him on Teramycin powder from the feed store right away. I did put the Teramycin in his water, but after 2 weeks of it, he died anyway, being too debilitated to recover. He was eating, but too sick to heal.

I would suggest starting some kind of antibiotic immediately, quarantining him from other birds and a fast visit to a vet who treats birds, if you can.

I miss Comet still, and it's been over a year. Please take action fast, and let me know how it goes. Good luck!

BTW, that's the same thing that got me to BYC! Welcome- I now hatch my own chickens, this place is truly addicting!

3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:I can't help with the crow, but welcome to BYC!
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan