Hoarse rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by OllieMom, Mar 10, 2009.

1. OllieMom

OllieMom New Egg

Mar 10, 2009
    My bantam rooster, Ollie, is almost 2, and a delight. Who knew chickens were so charming? Found your site looking for information on hoarseness...his crow, which was so musical, has been petering out lately, without overuse as far as I know. Any similar observations and solutions would be very welcome!
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    I had a 2 year old roo who lost his "voice". After a week and a half, I called the vet, who does treat birds, but is a long ways off, and he said start him on Teramycin powder from the feed store right away. I did put the Teramycin in his water, but after 2 weeks of it, he died anyway, being too debilitated to recover. He was eating, but too sick to heal.

I would suggest starting some kind of antibiotic immediately, quarantining him from other birds and a fast visit to a vet who treats birds, if you can.

I miss Comet still, and it's been over a year. Please take action fast, and let me know how it goes. Good luck!

BTW, that's the same thing that got me to BYC! Welcome- I now hatch my own chickens, this place is truly addicting!
  3. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:I can't help with the crow, but welcome to BYC!
  4. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    From Old Town, Maine
  5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]
  6. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009