Hobbling 2.5 week silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickadeeLane, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ChickadeeLane

ChickadeeLane New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Hawthorne, CA
    Hi,
    My little blue silkie, Eleanor, who will be 3 weeks on Monday started hobbling yesterday. Its possible she was accidently injured by one of my young children as they love love love our chicks. Based on info I read here I isolated her this morning into her own teeny brooder to minimize unnecessary hobbling. I've attached a picture of her from her backside to show her legs and feet. It seems to me one left toe is going up when the other food has them all down. Do you think this is the cause? Is there something I can do to help her? How long should she be isolated? Thank you for your input

I am a new (but well read!) chicken mommy to Eleanor (blue silkie), Florence (australorp), Catherine (easter egger), Victoria (bug brahma), Rosa (barred plymouth rock) and Elizabeth (Colombian Wyandotte).

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I don't see a picture, but if you just post a few more times, just saying a sentence to keep your thread going, you should be allowed to post pictures. Was she being trampled by the others? It is really important for her to stay a part of her flock in the coming weeks when the pecking order comes into being. Can you let her be with the others in a small dog cage with food and water, or give her time to be with them? She will eat and drink better if she can be with the others. Look her sore leg over for sores on the bottom of her foot, redness or swelling of the joints up to the hip. Does she hold her leg up or limp on it? Make sure that she is getting poultry vitamins in her water--your feed store will have several brands. Riboflavin or B2 is an important ingredient.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. ChickadeeLane

ChickadeeLane New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Hawthorne, CA
    Thanks for the tip on the vitamins! I will find those asap. She was so sad (read:LOUD) being all alone in her shoebox (she still fits in the palm of my hand) and her hobbling wasn't sooo bad that I put her back with her friends. She is still hobbling, favoring her left leg/foot. No sores or other signs of distress that I see. She is likely at the bottom of the pecking order regardless ;)
    When my pictures are allowed I will post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by