1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hobby farm in Kansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shannon71980, Sep 16, 2016.

1. shannon71980

shannon71980 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hope, Kansas
    My family and I bought our first chickens 2 years ago and we couldn't be happier! We started off with a mix of 16 and even though we have lost some, we are up to 32! They free range during the day and go to the coop at night. My husband and I have 5 children and he recently retired from the Army. We bought our first house and settled down in Kansas!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Shannon, Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Please do thank your husband for me, for his years in service.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It sure does sound like you are enjoying chicken keeping adventures! That's a lovely sized flock you have there, what breeds do you keep?

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Welcome to our community. Its great to hear that you are enjoying your chickens and you are certainly in the right place for chicken chat. Please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from a fellow Kansan, Shannon, and :welcome. Always happy to welcome another Sunflower Stater to BYC. I'm just up the road in Clay County. Best of luck to you and your flock! :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us.

Raising and tending your own flock is a wonderful experience for you and your family. I do envy your situation which allows your flock to free range.

I saw your post about the injured rooster [​IMG] So sorry y'all are having to deal with this.

8. shannon71980

shannon71980 New Egg

Sep 16, 2016
    Hope, Kansas
    Thank you everyone! I am always looking up info on chickens everyday, since we are still pretty new to raising chicken, and figured, why not ask some experts :) We have a mix of chickens. Barred Rocks, Bantams, Araucana, Rhode Island Reds,and a mixture of them all :)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick Premium Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by